Popular, pivotal, prodigious, a pioneer: Peter Okoye is all of these things. You probably know him better as Mr P.
Alongside his twin brother, he formed the hugely successful P-Square – the first afrobeats supergroup. They set the standard and blazed a trail for the explosion of musical talent we’ve seen in the last decade.
Now, more than three years after the duo’s acrimonious split, Mr P is finally getting ready to release his debut solo album, The Prodigal.
It should come as no surprise that such an influential figure has been able to dip into his ample contacts book.
Teni, Simi, Tiwa Savage, and Mohombi all make guest appearances. Wande Coal was the collaborator on the lead-off single, Follow My Lead.
Not that Mr P is too worried about the choice of promotional track.
But production of the record didn’t always run smoothly because of the pandemic, political protests and personal tragedy.
The recent passing of Mr P’s father-in-law follows a summer of upheaval when his entire family caught Covid-19.
The experience means he has little time for Nigeria’s coronavirus deniers.
- Social media users react to DSP Azugu’s alleged role in assault on Citi FM journalist
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Court adjourns Assin North MP’s case over hearing of applications
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Champions League final moved to Porto and 12,000 Chelsea and Manchester City fans can attend
Top scientists question the need for Covid-19 booster shots
Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid engagements
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 14, 2021
NSMQ2021: Perfect ‘salah’ gift as Tamale SHS wins maiden Northern Zonal Championship
Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
Real Madrid win to keep title dream alive
GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
Liverpool boost top four hopes with win at Man Utd
Sancho and Haaland score doubles as Dortmund win German Cup
National Security Ministry to probe alleged assault on Citi FM journalists by security operatives
Government is committed to investing more in the youth – NYA Deputy CEO
NSMQ 2021: Tamale Islamic SHS denied ‘Eid-Trophy’ after Notre Dame SHS exited them at semis of Northern Zonal Championship
Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
Full text: Speaker Alban Bagbin’s message on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr