Audio By Carbonatix
Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Madam Jean Mensa has assured Ghanaians that her outfit will not disenfranchise any eligible voter in the forthcoming general elections.
Madam Mensa noted that the Commission had taken the required steps to guarantee that all qualified voters are enrolled in the EC’s poll book.
She stressed, “We have heard allegations from various quarters that the commission is seeking to disenfranchise eligible voters. This is false; we have no interest in disenfranchising any eligible person."
Madam Mensa further disclosed that her outfit would conduct a continuous registration exercise nationwide next year to guarantee that all qualifying individuals were registered.
In addition, Madam Mensa stated that the commission would identify areas that were difficult to access and undertake a mop-up registration exercise in those areas.
She further implored Ghanaians intending to get minors on the register to desist from the act.
Moreover, the EC Chairperson urged the public to assist the commission in dealing with the phenomena of ineligible people penetrating the registration process, emphasising that her organisation will also "do everything in our power to ensure that ineligible voters do not get onto the register."
On September 12, the EC launched a limited voter registration exercise, aimed at registering citizens who turned 18 since the previous registration exercise.
The exercise, which is a 21-day event, will also provide an opportunity for Ghanaians who had previously not registered with the EC to have their names added to the voter list.
However, some citizens since the process commenced have raised speculations and accused the EC of intending to use the exercise to prevent some eligible persons from participating in the registration exercise.
But Madam Mensa during her presentation at the Let the Citizens Know series on Monday, September 18, debunked those allegations and disclosed that 182,931 Ghanaians had been registered six days into the exercise.
She reiterated "We do not intend to disenfranchise eligible voters. It is in our interest to register them all."
Speaking on concerns raised about the EC's policy to use its 268 offices for the limited registration exercise, she clarified that the ongoing exercise was only an update of the register.
"It is not a full-blown registration. It is important to note that this will not be the only registration exercise before the 2024 elections”.
"In line with our plans to promote an inclusive participatory registration process, we plan to institute continuous registration in all our district offices nationwide in 2024 for a considerable length of time,” Madam Mensa assured.
Latest Stories
-
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
9 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
10 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
18 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
19 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
31 minutes -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
33 minutes -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
45 minutes -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
53 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
54 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
54 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
56 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
59 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
1 hour -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
1 hour