Paris Saint-Germain forward, Lionel Messi, is set to win the Best Player Award for 2022.
On Monday, February 27, the FIFA Gala will be held, during which the football league’s governing body will honour the game’s top performers from the previous year.
Karim Benzema, the captain and star of Real Madrid, who won the Ballon d’Or for 2022, is one of the nominees after leading the Merengues to La Liga and the UEFA Champions League crowns last season.
The nominees also include Vinicius Jr. and Luka Modric, Benzema’s teammates. Both Robert Lewandowski of Barcelona and Kylian Mbappe of PSG are contenders for the FIFA Best Men’s Player Award.
Nevertheless, as things stand, it appears that Messi, a PSG teammate of Mbappe’s and a former Barcelona star, will win the award.
The 35-year-old had a fantastic 2022, helping PSG win the Ligue 1 championship while providing crucial support.
But the icing on the cake came in December when he guided Argentina to victory at the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar.
As the tournament’s Golden Ball winner, Messi now appears to be in line to take home the FIFA Best Player of the Year Award for 2022.
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- EFF joins other Pan African movements to stand with the people of Sudan
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win