Lupita Nyong’o is presently in Nigeria and last night she graced the epic dinner organised in her honour by award-winning author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Lupita was hosted to a private event by the author with the aim of introducing Lupita to friends, family and members of the Nigerian creative community.
At the star-studded event saw the likes of Olu Jacobs, Richard Mofe Damijo, Bety Irabor, Dakore Egbunson, Omawumi, D’banj, Beverly Nay and Seun Kuti and more.
The Hollywood star is the lead actress and also executive producer (alongside Danai Gurira) for the screen adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s best-selling book ‘Americanah.’
At the dinner, it was revealed that the 10-episode series will star Lupita Nyong’o, Zackary Momoh, Uzo Aduba and Corey Hawkins, while Danai Gurira will serve as showrunner, and writer, Chinonye Chukwu will direct the first two episodes.
Lupita revealed that ‘Americanah’ has been a passion project for her since she read Chimamanda’s novel in 2013 and she knew she had to bring it to life on TV screens.
She admitted that after reading the book, she cried a lot and found out that they had a mutual friend in the acknowledgement page of ‘Americanah’.
Lupita said she contacted him to send an email to Chimamanda and later met up with the author at Toronto Film Festival. The rest, she said, is the result of the forthcoming screen adaptation.
Also, it was revealed at the event that scenes from the movie will be shot in Lagos. Lupita Nyong’o, Zackary Momoh, Uzo Aduba, Corey Hawkins, Danai Gurira or Chinonye Chukwu will be in the streets of Lagos because they are bringing the magic to the roots.
Lupita further revealed that she is currently learning Igbo and Pidgin for the movie.
Photos from the event below:
- Debt Exchange: 8 banks highly exposed to government bonds, may be hit hardest – Report
- Minority loses censure motion to dismiss Ofori-Atta
- Playback: Parliament determines Ken Ofori-Atta’s fate
- Cedi strengthens further against dollar; $1 now ¢13
- 2023 Budget: 4 key areas that received less allocation than National Cathedral
- Ofori-Atta’s censure motion: Our side didn’t take sitting allowances – Ablakwa
- Driver’s mate killed, 2 in critical condition in gory accident at Gomoa Dominase
- Kalybos and I will have a child together if we are still single in 2 years – Ahuofe Patri
- ‘Ajax is getting too small for Mohammed Kudus’ – Inaki Williams
- Censure motion: Majority MPs walk out as Minority members cast vote
- Bui Power Authority partners UENR and KNUST to build capacity of engineering students on renewable energy
- Debt Exchange Programme: BoG urges banks to participate, announces relief packages
- Electronic Tax Clearance Certificate to ensure transparency in taxation – GRA
- Central Tongu MP pledges to support Mafi Anfoe youth to construct bungalow for teachers
- Expect prices of books to increase – GNAAP to schools and parents
- UG Parliament: Majority Caucus petitions Speaker over academic, residential fees increment
- Typhoid vaccine should complement WASH – Dr. Nsiah Asare
- You have to be a fisherman’s girlfriend to purchase his catch – Fish processors
- Censure motions are serious parliamentary business – Abu Jinapor
- KiDi to collaborate with Bollywood star on new track
- Suspension of road toll collection was not done legally – Sulemana Briamah
- Ghanaian adults prefer religious and traditional justice systems to formal one – GSS
- Improving rural education: A teacher is giving hope to pupils of Nkwantapong D/A Primary School
- Kumawood actor Okomfo Kolege tearfully announces wife’s burial date
- I am not prepared to fail – Prof. Addai-Mensah tells union executives at KATH