Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been found guilty on charges of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery in Greece.
Christopher Sharman and Joe Maguire were also found guilty following a brawl outside a Mykonos bar.
Maguire, the 27-year-old, was handed a suspended prison sentence of 21 months and 10 days due to it being a first offence, while the charges were downgraded to misdemeanours.
MAN UTD STATEMENT – MAGUIRE VERDICT TO BE APPEALED
A Manchester United statement – per BBC’s Simon Stone – stated Maguire’s legal team will appeal the verdict due to the minimal time they had in preparing the case.
“Manchester United notes the verdict of the Greek court today. Harry Maguire pleaded not guilty to all of the misdemeanour charges made against him and he continues to strongly assert his innocence,” a statement read.
“It should be noted that the prosecution confirmed the charges and provided their evidence late on the day before the trial, giving the defence team minimal time to digest them and prepare. A request for the case to be adjourned was subsequently denied.
“On this basis, along with the substantial body of evidence refuting the charges, Harry Maguire’s legal team will now appeal the verdict, to allow a full and fair hearing at a later date.”
WILL MAGUIRE REMAIN IN ENGLAND SQUAD?
Earlier on Tuesday, Harry Maguire was named in Gareth Southgate’s England squad for the upcoming Nations League matches in Iceland and Denmark next month.
Southgate revealed he spoke with Maguire before naming the defender in his squad, but did admit – prior to the guilty verdict – that he will review his decision if “facts change or information changes”.
“It is clearly a decision that is not straightforward and a decision that I could only take on the information I have,” Southgate told a news conference.
I have spoken to harry, I have the insight to the story which is very different to what is being reported. Clearly, if facts change or information changes, I have to review that decision. I have a fantastic relationship with Harry. I have no reason to doubt what he is telling me.
- Takoradi woman faked pregnancy and kidnap – Regional Minister
- Fugees announce reunion tour, Ghana listed among countries
- Ablakwa to file another urgent question in Parliament over Akufo-Addo’s ‘extravagant’ foreign trips
- Police interdicts 4 officers who assaulted Tamale residents over illegal connection
- Provisional census results peg Ghana’s population at 30.8m – Statistical Service
- Kohwe was not my brother – George Laing clarifies
- Police deny NPP executives’ bail request for 12 arrested protestors in North East Region
- Peugeot Landtrek Double Cabin 4×4 vehicle launched; assembling of Peugeot vehicles in Ghana to begin in March 2022
- Suspected thief made to weed acres of land as punishment at Bibiani
- Takoradi missing woman: Neighbours, husband dispute Regional Minister’s claim she faked pregnancy, kidnap
‘Admit AU in G20 Group of Nations – Akufo-Addo
‘Ghana will defend democracy and constitutional rule’ – Akufo-Addo
Guinea coup: Military junta willing to see to Condé’s release – Akufo-Addo
‘Vaccines as a tool for immigration control is retrogressive’ – Akufo-Addo
Absa Group to Implement Second Significant B-BBEE Transaction
Musician Kaakyire Kwame Appiah enstooled Benkumhene Of Bosomtwe Asaman
Suaman youth shower praise on Akufo-Addo for DCE appointment
Izwe Savings and Loans rewards customers and staff at its 10th anniversary virtual cake cutting ceremony
Prudential Bank donates vehicle to reward first runner-up of teacher prize
Seth Kwame Awuku: Parliament -Amending the 1990 ECOWAS supplementary protocol
Playback: Akufo-Addo addresses 76th session of UN General Assembly
Mozzart Bet offers biggest odds in 3 games today
Kohwe was not my brother – George Laing clarifies
Northern Region Police Commander visits victims of brutalities in Tamale
R. Kelly’s legal team brings witnesses who say they never saw abuse by the singer