The Presidential Candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) John Mahama says if given the mandate come December 7, he will amend the National Pensions Act.
This initiative, he said, will allow workers who lose their jobs to be paid stipends while they search for new ones.
“If you lose income or you lose employment and you are not getting employment, you can be paid something small from your pension until you get a job again.”
He made this revelation during his 2-day tour of the Savannah Region.
Addressing a durbar, he stated that, workers who have contributed for 15 years to SSNIT will also be allowed to use their contributions as collateral to access mortgage loans.
“After contributing to the pension fund for 15 years, you can take your pension payments as collateral and take it to your bank for a loan and come and build a small house in your hometown so when you retire you have a place to come and stay instead of going to stay in your family house.”
John Mahama ended his tour of the Region on Monday and he is expected to intensify his campaign in other areas today with less than a week to the December 7 election.
He also appealed to the residents and the people of the Savannah region to vote massively for him during the December polls.
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- Tourists watch Russian man get devoured by shark on Egypt beach
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- Minority warns against turning Green Ghana Day events into corruption schemes
- ‘Spiritualist’ on trial for allegedly defrauding client of GHȼ85,000
- Vice President Bawumia has never held British or any other citizenship – Gideon Boako
- Life lounge with Edem Knight-Tay: Only because she is a woman
- I’ve been forced out over Partygate report – Boris Johnson
- 2023 AFCONQ: Chris Hughton replaces injured Alexander Djiku with Kasim Adams
- Media Coalition Against Galamsey frustrated at non-prosecution of Akonta Mining directors
- ISSER recommends adoption of electric vehicles to achieve a low-carbon transport sector
- Prof Frimpong Boateng is a role model for fighting ‘galamsey’, follow his examples – German Ambassador urges Ghanaians
- Special Prosecutor is guest on Newsfile on Saturday, June 10
- Unemployment in Ghana is highest among female youth – ISSER report reveals alarming disparities
- GrEEn project plants 2,000 trees in Ashanti and Western regions
- Asantehene leads tree planting in Kumasi as part of Green Ghana Day initiative
- Johnnie Walker Black Label and Red Label ‘step out of boxes’
- Sankalp West Africa Summit 2023 on entrepreneurship slated for June 12
- French Open 2023: Novak Djokovic through to final after Carlos Alcaraz injury
- Man Utd owners spoke to PSG chairman about Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani’s bid