A planned demonstration by the Korle Bu Senior Staff Association (KOSSA) has been stopped by management of the facility.
The demonstration which was expected to come off today, Thursday, April 21, 2016, was to call on government to remove the Chief Executive Officer, Gilbert Buckle from office.
The staff has accused Dr. Buckle of mismanaging resources at the facility.
Director of Administration at the facility, Nurudeen Mohammed in a statement said the planned action was uncalled for because management has not been informed.
It adds that “Should the intended demonstration be on account of matters not related to Korle-bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH), then KOSSA and the individual employees involved do not have the permission of the hospital to embark on the demonstration on the premises of KBTH.”
“Management takes seriously KOSSA and its individual member’s repeated acts which disrupts services and creates undue tension in the hospital as well as negatively affecting public confidence in the ability of the hospital to meet their needs,” the statement added.
The hospital has in recent times been faced with several challenges. Some staff has accused Dr. Gilbert Buckle of mismanaging the hospital’s internally generated funds and paying what they termed needless judgement debts.
The CEO assumed office in July 2014, following staff agitation against the then acting CEO, Rev. Albert Okpoti Botwe, and then Board Chair Eddie Annan over similar concerns.
These agitations have led to the dismissal of President of KOSSA, Mr.Charles Offei-Palm earlier this month.
He was accused of defying a media policy by granting an interview to an Accra-based radio station, during which he made some offensive comments against management.
General Secretary of the Senior Staff Association, James Clifford Oblitey told Joy News’ Raymond Acquah in an interview that they will not relent in their efforts at getting the right things done.
He said although this demonstration has been stopped, they will resist any attempt to stop them from demonstrating next week.
“Have the courage and confidence that next week, our demonstration will come off,” he told Joy News.
He also dismissed suggestions that the staff did not follow due procedures before calling the strike.
Although the labour law bars the staff from the demonstration, James Clifford Oblitey said: “We have run out of patience and gone through every procedure.”
He said the mere fact that they have informed the police makes their planned action lawful.