National

Mason burnt to death in Suntreso black-out

A 42-year old man was burnt to death after a lit candle consumed his home during a prolonged black-out in Suntreso a suburb in the Ashanti region.

According to his brother, Shadrack Obeng Fosu, the deceased Nana Benyin could not escape the fire that had engulfed his bedroom and a saloon near by.

The mason was drunk when he returned home at about 11pm Wednesday. He lit a candle in a largely wooden one bedroom apartment, Luv FM's Kwasi Debrah reported.

Neighbours say they saw the room light up moments later as the candle set his mattress ablaze.

The fire quickly caught a salon attached to his room. The salon had a fridge, a generator and a gas cylinder and other combustible items.

The neighbours made frantic calls to Nana Benyin who according to them, was too drunk for his senses to coordinate his own rescue.

The fire razed down the bedroom and the saloon during the 12pm inferno.

Nana Benyin’s charred remains were found after the Ghana Fire Service came in to put out the fire in the dawn attempt to save his life.

Nana Benyin is unmarried and has no children.

Tags: