Audio By Carbonatix
Ahly's away league fixture at Masry has been postponed indefinitely by the Egyptian Football Association's competitions committee after the match was initially due to take place on 20 December.
The football association made the decision on Thursday upon the request of the interior ministry, as the verdict of the case of the deadly Port-Said disaster, which took place in February 2012, will be issued on the day of the match.
The interior ministry's request is based on the fear of tensions being escalated by the ruling as the match is going to be the first meeting between both clubs since the incident that left some 74 fans dead in 2012.
Instead, Ahly will be visiting Wadi Degla in a delayed match from the second week, as the Cairo giants – who were recently crowned African Confederation Cup champions – currently have five games in hand.
An initial verdict of the Port-Said disaster was issued last year, which saw 21 defendants handed the death sentence, and five sentenced to life imprisonment.
Egyptian league holders Ahly are currently 12th on the table.
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
35 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
49 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
50 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
5 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours