Audio By Carbonatix
The Convenor of the Media Coalition Against Illegal Mining, Dr Kenneth Ashigbey says the coalition will consider legal steps against those who attacked journalists who were in the Ashanti Region recently to write on illegal mining.
According to him, the development is worrying and called on the police to intervene with urgency.
"We will be waiting and hoping that some work (arrest and prosecution) will be done. We are not just going to wait, we are also going to take steps, we asked the lawyers of Media Coalition against Galamsey to help us take all the steps that we need to take" he said.
He made this comment on Joy FM's Super Morning Show on Monday, October 21, 2024.
JoyNews' Erastus Asare Donkor and three other journalists were attacked by some ten armed men in Asumenya, a mining community in the Ashanti region where illegal mining is common.
According to Erastus, the armed men kidnapped them and took them to an unknown landmark in one of the mining forests where they were subjected to physical assaults.
The perpetrators were identified as workers of Edelmetallum Resources Limited, a mining firm in the community.
However, they were invited by police in the area but they arrogantly refused to visit the police to help assist in the investigation.
The Media Coalition against Illegal Mining convener also demanded that the IGP act on the matter.
"If the judiciary had been attacked if the Executive had been attacked, if the Legislature or the Judiciary had been attacked is this the attitude the police are going to show?" he quizzed.
Latest Stories
-
Meghan could return to acting once back in UK
24 minutes -
Bali jails Swiss tourist for insulting sacred Day of Silence
31 minutes -
Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologises to Sammy Gyamfi, NDC over GoldBod comments
3 hours -
‘You want the trade, but not the people?’ – Dr Yamson tears into South Africa’s xenophobia
4 hours -
Walmart sales under strain as US shoppers pull back
5 hours -
The Premier League’s new plan to end corner chaos
5 hours -
US Open offers biggest prize fund in Grand Slam history
5 hours -
‘I feel I am imprisoning myself’ – Djokovic on drive & doubts
5 hours -
India’s Gen Z are driving up a mega boom in its beauty market
5 hours -
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
6 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
6 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
6 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
6 hours