Lionel Messi’s performances “could be better” but the Barcelona captain is “happy”, says new manager Ronald Koeman.
Argentina forward Messi, 33, tried to leave the club this summer and called the transfer saga “a brutal drama”.
He has scored once so far this season.
“I don’t have any complaints or doubts about his effort,” said Koeman, whose side open their Champions League campaign against Ferencvaros on Tuesday (20:00 BST kick-off).
“Right now his performances could be better. On a day-to-day basis, he’s happy and wants to play and be the team’s captain.”
Messi is in the final year of his contract and will come up against Juventus and Cristiano Ronaldo in Group G of this season’s Champions League, a competition they have not won since 2015.
Italian champions Juve will prove tough opposition and Koeman played down Barcelona’s chances of helping Messi to another win this year.
“When you’re at Barcelona you always want to be there fighting for trophies, be it in La Liga or Europe,” said the former Netherlands manager.
“We aren’t the favourites, but we can go far.”
- #FixTheCountry protestors counter injunction with #NameAndShame campaign on social media
- I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Male victim of sexual abuse recounts
- Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
- Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
- Methodist Church stands by its objection to GES directive to let Muslim students fast – Bishop of Northern Accra Diocese
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- Missing ‘okada’ rider found dead in the bush
- Keep an eye on househelps to curb sexual abuse – Victim of child defilement advises parents
FanMilk launches NutriDay zinc fortified yoghurt
Software developer volunteers to teach youth programming
Libya: Gunmen storm hotel used as Presidential Council HQ
Covid-19: Roll-out for second doses to begin May 19
Over 130 injured as Palestinian worshippers clash with Israeli police at Al-Aqsa mosque
Stephen Bernard Donkor: Politicians must fix their attitudes
Pensioner in BBC Africa Eye film dies without pension
Christ Embassy Church members plead not guilty to breaching restrictions on public gathering
Livestream: Newsfile discusses #FixTheCountry brouhaha; Muslim students not allowed to fast in public Christian school
Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
WHO approves Chinese Covid vaccine
Ghana to become hub of pharmaceutical production in SSA; sales forecast to hit GH¢2.86bn
Young African entrepreneurs to maximize benefits from AfCFTA
Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
Health Directorate initiate moves to improve health care delivery at Ada West