Lionel Messi has criticised Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal for saying players were not working hard under former coach Ernesto Valverde.
Valverde was sacked in January and replaced by Quique Setien.
Abidal, a former team-mate of Messi, made the comments in an interview with Spanish newspaper Diario Sport.
But on Tuesday Messi, 32, responded: “When you talk about players, you have to give names because if not, it gives air to things which are not true.”
Valverde was sacked when Barcelona were top of La Liga.
In the newspaper interview Abidal said: “Many players weren’t satisfied or working hard and there was also an internal communication problem.
“The relationship between the coach and the dressing room has always been good but there are things as an ex-player that I could smell. I told the club what I thought and we reached a decision [on Valverde].”
Six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi responded on Instagram, writing: “Sincerely, I don’t like to do these things but I think that people have to be responsible for their jobs and own their decisions.
“The players [are responsible] for what happens on the pitch and we are the first to admit when we haven’t been good. The heads of the sports department have to take their responsibilities too and above all own the decisions they make.”
In his interview with Diario Sport, Abidal also said he thought Messi was happy at the club and a new contract for the Argentine talisman was currently being negotiated.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
Egg vendors in Kumasi lament about poor quality and sizes of eggs on the market
Kuami Eugene describes critics of his attire during Range Rover presentation as shallow
Jobberman Ghana stirs initiative to enable SMEs hire the right way
‘Securing NDC’s Future’ forum alien to party executives – Peter Otokunor
Chief Justice set to establish tax court to help GRA prosecute defaulters
Ghanaian women stranded in Saudi Arabia call on Akufo-Addo for help
Gyakie’s ‘Forever’ at number 3 on Billboard Top Triller Chart
Mary Elizabeth Van Dyck
NRSA petitions MTTD to investigate Cocobod vehicle that broke traffic regulations
New cocoa management system to promote transparency
Thirteen drown as vehicle plunges into canal in Philippines
GNC complies with EPA directives to stop pollution of Tano River
Industries are killing water bodies in Greater Accra – Kpone Mantse
Vanessa Bryant shares intimate wedding picture to mark 20th anniversary with Kobe Bryant
Fire engulfs Mampong College of Education administration block