Audio By Carbonatix
Barcelona’s Argentinian three-time Ballon D’Or winner Lionel Messi has agreed to renew his contract at the Spanish giants until June 2018, the club said on Tuesday.
Barcelona said in a statement it had reached an agreement with Messi, 25, whose current contract expires in 2016, and he would sign his new deal “in the coming weeks”.
It also reached agreements with two of its other top players, veteran defender and captain Carles Puyol and midfielder Xavi Hernandez, who will each sign up to stay until 2016.
Puyol, 34, agreed to extend his contract when it expires next year and Xavi, 32, will do so when his expires in 2014.
“This news means that FC Barcelona has secured its ties with three of its most important players,” the club said in its statement.
Barcelona are 13 points clear of their fierce rivals, title holders Real Madrid, at the top of the Spanish league, and nine points ahead of second-placed Atletico Madrid, who they beat 4-1 last weekend.
Messi — who has been at the club since 2004 — is the top scorer in the league with 25 goals so far this season and recently broke Gerd Mueller’s 40-year record for the most goals in a calendar year.
Mueller scored 85 in 1972 and Messi has scored 90 so far this year, though there are claims that Godfrey Chitalu of Zambia and Zico of Brazil netted more.
It has been reported that Messi’s new deal could eventually net him a cool £12.5 million (Dh74.29 million) net before bonuses.
This would still be some way behind his former Barcelona teammate Samuel Eto’o, who earns £16m at Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala
But it would outstrip the annual earnings before bonuses of Messi’s great rival, Ronaldo, who takes home £9 million a year.
With all his bonuses and lucrative sponsorship deals, Messi is reportedly the richest footballer in the year, worth £27.5 million, £1.3 million more than second-place David Beckham.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
19 minutes -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
19 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
45 minutes -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
1 hour -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
1 hour -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
1 hour -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
1 hour -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
1 hour -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
1 hour -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
2 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
2 hours -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
2 hours -
University of Gold Coast graduates urged to prove themselves beyond certificates
2 hours -
GoldBod sets new X-Ray Fluorescence standard for gold purity testing from September 1
2 hours -
Why EOCO, not OSP, is leading AKSA bribery probe – Deputy AG explains
2 hours