Audio By Carbonatix
The Fisheries Ministry has placed a ban on fishing by industrial trawlers from August 1, to October 1, and threatened any vessel that flouts the directive with a $1-million fine.
The sector Minister, Elizabeth Naa Afoley Quaye, who announced this in an interview added that the ban on industrial trawler fishing was part of moves to replenish the dwindling fish stock in the country’s territorial waters.
She said there were enough monitoring mechanisms put in place to ensure that the ban was adhered to.
Explaining further, Mrs Quaye said the Ghana Navy and the Marine Police were ready and alert and had already installed some tracking devices on licensed fishing vessels, while a monitoring team from the ministry, supported by local fishermen, was also on the lookout for trawlers that would contravene the order.
This year’s closed season for small-scale fishermen was begun on May 15, 2019 and ended on June 15, 2019.
Artisanal fisher folk have suggested that the closed season should be timed well and in synchronisation with all types of fishers.
Mrs Quaye said “information gathered so far from fishermen indicates that there is improvement in fish catch this year”.
She said some fish species thought to be extinct, including a class of small herring and a local fish popularly known as ‘kankan’, were caught this year by some fishermen.
Refuting media reports that some fishermen had complained of low fish catch after the closed season this year, she said the issue of dwindling fish stock had been with humanity for the past three decades.
“The issue of dwindling fish stock has been with us for three decades now. We are aware of the challenges and that is why we are working closely with fishermen and other stakeholders to have the situation improved tremendously by the next decade,” she said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu questions timing of OSP investigation into alleged vote buying in NPP Presidential Primary
2 minutes -
Photos: Dreams FC suffer 1-0 defeat at home to Karela
8 minutes -
Ghana needs clear policy to tackle galamsey, our past methods fell short – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
13 minutes -
Mahama pushes urgent rollout of Pan-African payment system at AU Summit
17 minutes -
AGA Obuasi Mine and partners inspire girls at Asare Bediako SHS to pursue careers in STEM
19 minutes -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates Spatial Planning Committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
28 minutes -
AI-driven technology set to boost farmers’ productivity and cut seed losses in Ghana
29 minutes -
Early polls are misleading – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu on Ghana’s 2028 elections
34 minutes -
Black Princesses arrive in Ghana after victory over South Africa
36 minutes -
NPP primaries: Gideon Boako reconciles opposing camps in Tano North
42 minutes -
‘We will prepare ourselves to outweigh Uganda’ – Black Princesses coach Charles Sampson
44 minutes -
Dr Bawumia can bounce back to win Ghana’s 2028 presidency – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
60 minutes -
ECG schedules outages on Tuesdays for Ahodwo-Santasi transmission lines relocation
1 hour -
Female Israeli soldiers rescued after being chased by ultra-Orthodox men
1 hour -
GCB Bank PLC prepares to launch non-interest banking window following high-level talks with IIFM
1 hour
