Deputy Health Minister-Designate, Mahama Asei Seini has described as unlawful, the practice whereby staff of health facilities charge pregnant women for services and medication.
A recent documentary by Corruption Watch titled ‘Pay or die’ revealed that despite provisions in the National Heath Insurance Act, 2012 (Act, 852), some health officials at 37 Military Hospital, Mamprobi Polyclinic and others charge pregnant women for services rendered.
Responding to questions on the documentary’s revelations at Parliament’s Appointment Committee during his vetting, Monday, Mr Seini indicated that if given the nod, he will advise the substantive Minister to investigate the allegations made in the film.
“Mr Chairman, I will suggest to my Minister that he should commence with the investigation so that we will come up with the truth and then we will take the legal actions.”
Touching on the infrastructure deficit in the health sector, the nominee revealed that the incumbent government has awarded 75 out of 111 contracts to build a district hospital in order to improve healthcare delivery in the country.
He said, despite the delay, the 75 district hospitals will be ready for use by the end of this year.
“The 111 was a vision of the NPP government just to augment the deficit in the health infrastructure. So far 75 have been awarded waiting for the sod to be cut to commence. The others are in the pipe line. If you approve me, I would discuss with my Minister when this thing can be commenced but before the end of 2021, something will be done,” he added.
- Request for Chief Justice to be suspended premature – Presidency
- Traveller apologises for lashing out at KIA Covid-19 testing officials over results
- Collins Dauda prosecution is poor excuse for abandoning Saglemi project – Sammy Gyamfi
- IGP assures #FixTheCountry protesters of maximum protection on August 4 demo
- Man who murdered wife over divorce threats dies of poisoning
- Tokyo 2020: Samuel Takyi wins bronze in boxing, Ghana’s first Olympic medal since 1992
- New ‘trampoline tracks’ at Tokyo 2020 explain why so many records being broken
- Government to buy 6 aircraft for Ghana Armed Forces worth over €111m
- Hushpuppi paid Deputy Police Commissioner over $20k to detain his ‘co-conspirator’ Chibuzo – FBI alleges
- Akorfa Edjeani on how a role affected a home
Labour demand remains flat in June 2021 -BoG
Let’s have comprehensive debt management strategy to manage escalating debt – IEA
Joe Gyaakye Quayson has not been invited by Police CID, it’s an NPP propaganda – NDC National Organiser
Vaccines may no longer be a solution to containing third wave of Delta variant – Virologist
Grammy-nominated artiste, Stokley, features KiDi in ‘Woman’
Damongo MP places ¢10k bounty on head for police officer’s killer
Livestream: #FixTheCountry demo comes off today
Hushpuppi paid Deputy Police Commissioner over $20k to detain his ‘co-conspirator’ Chibuzo – FBI alleges
Government to export Ghana-embossed gold as State Gold Refinery is 90% complete
#FixTheCountry protestors hit the streets of Accra
Absa Bank MD, Abena Osei-Poku named top Corporate Personality at Ghana Women of the Year Honours
ISSER fears Ghana Cares Obaatanpa programme may face financial challenges
256 more people killed in road crashes in July alone
Message from the Morning Man: Ei Jesus, are you sure?
Playback: PM Express discusses ‘Labour demands for money where is the justification’