The Yesizi community in the Mamprugu Moaduri District of the North East Region is in a state of mourning after a man allegedly hit his brother to death with a stick.
Bashiru, 48, clobbered Yaro, 29, with a stick following a violent confrontation at a drinking spot on Monday.
Yaro was rushed to the Community Health Center but he was pronounced dead at 3 am on Tuesday.
His death angered community members who stormed the house of his brother to kill him in retaliation.
There was total chaos in the community as the Bashiru has been rescued by some elders and is currently being sheltered at the chief’s palace.
A source told JoyNews, some youth in the area have massed up outside the chief’s palace in protest, demanding the man be released for them to also kill him.
The Assemblyman for the area, Abdul Rahman Alhassan told JoyNewsthat the police were called more than three-hours ago but are yet to arrive in the community.
He said they are waiting for the police to come and take the man into custody, to avoid being lynched by the angry mob.
Several attempts by the JoyNews’ correspondent to reach the police in the area for their comment has proven futile.
The entire district of about 45,000 population is manned by 15 police personnel with no police station.
These small number of personnel also lack resources, especially for patrols and other security operations.
The district is noted for high incidents of mob justice and gender-based violence.
Many of these incidents have been blamed on the lack of adequate police presence in the area.
- “No due diligence or value for money”- How some MPs kicked against Saglemi Housing project in 2012
- #FixTheCountry protestors hit the streets of Accra
- Hushpuppi paid Deputy Police Commissioner over $20k to detain his ‘co-conspirator’ Chibuzo – FBI alleges
- ‘How can people lie like this?’ – E. T. Mensah on NDC’s Saglemi Housing project defence
- Volta, Bono, Bono East regions emerge as Covid-19 hotspots
- Playback: #FixTheCountry demo comes off today
- Techiman South election dispute: Wenchi Court refuses EC’s stay of proceedings, fines Commission ¢4k
- 256 more people killed in road crashes in July alone
- 10 more deaths recorded in Ghana’s Covid-19 fight
- Michael Jai White loses oldest son to Covid-19
Whether through courts or by-election, I don’t see anything changing in Assin North – Brogya Genfi
Woodworkers fear loss of jobs in planned eviction from operational space
2020 Tokyo Olympic Games: all 14 athletes and officials receive allowances
COVID-19: Some vaccinated persons can clear the virus from their system within 3 days if re-infected – GHS
From a teacher to renowned broadcaster – the story of Adom FM’s Kwame Oboadie
AfCFTA provides platform for Africa’s post-Covid-19 economic recovery – Trade Minister
Reactions on social media over Founders’ Day #FixTheCountry demo
Chief’s linguist shot dead during robbery operation
More oxygen plants expected by August 19 to manage severe Covid-19 cases – GHS
Women’s contribution to the film industry has been enormous – Kofi Adjorlolo
Medical and Dental Council arrests 18 quack practitioners
Stop rolling out new projects until all existing ones are completed – Mahama tells government
Oliver Barker-Vormawor calls for the dissolution of the ‘corrupt 4th republic’
Information Minister redeems pledge to Ya-Na
Government’s delay in paying road contractors an age-old practice in Ghana – Former NDC Treasurer