Audio By Carbonatix
Doctors at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital say more lives continue to be saved since the ultra-modern mother and baby unit became operational.
Head of Obstetrics & Gynaecology Department at the hospital, Dr. Gerald Owusu Asubonteng told JoyNews that from 2017 to 2018, they recorded 135 maternal deaths.
This, has, however ameliorated since the facility was built and handed over to them, he says.
He said previously, the hospital had just eight beds at the first stage of labour. “Now we have 17,” he said.
The recovery area which had only two beds which forced new mothers to make do with the floor now has nine beds.
The intervention came after a JoyNews special assignment documentary, “Next to Die” by Seth Kwame Boateng which highlighted the needless deaths of mothers and babies at the hospital due to congestion.
That led to the construction of ultra-modern mother and baby unit through the intervention of the First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo.
Seth Kwame Boateng has more in the report below
Latest Stories
-
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
55 minutes -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
2 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
2 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
2 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
3 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
4 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
4 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
4 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
4 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
5 hours -
Gov’t will not bow to pressure to restore old cocoa producer prices – Mahama Ayariga
5 hours -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund saves ICT tutor’s life
6 hours -
Family of rescued baby demands justice as Odododiodio MP urges stronger security measures
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Burkina Faso attack, Ofori-Atta off red notice and CJ’s petition dismissal
6 hours -
Ghana Link dismisses ‘missing’ transit truck claims
6 hours
