Audio By Carbonatix
Armed gangs have kidnapped dozens of people attending two churches in Nigeria's Kaduna state, according to local police.
A senior church leader said more than 160 worshippers were abducted by gunmen during Sunday service.
It is the latest mass kidnapping in Nigeria, where both Christians and Muslims have been targeted. Gangs, known locally as "bandits", frequently carry out such attacks in northern and central parts of the country to get ransom payments.
Describing Sunday's attack, local police said gunmen armed with "sophisticated weapons" burst into the two churches in Kurmin Wali, a forest community in Afogo ward, at about 11:25 local time.
"The attackers came in numbers and blocked the entrance of the churches and forced the worshippers out into the bush," Rev Joseph Hayab, head of the Christian Association of Nigeria for the country's north, told the AFP news agency on Monday.
Speaking to Reuters, Hayab added: "Information came to me from the elders of the churches that 172 worshippers were abducted while nine escaped."
In November, more than 300 students and teachers were seized from a Catholic school. They were later released in two successive groups. It was among a spate of kidnappings that made international headlines.
Nigeria is facing numerous security challenges - including kidnappings for ransom by criminal gangs, an Islamist insurgency in the north-east, separatist violence in the south-east, and a battle between herders and farmers in the centre over access to land and water.
Experts say corruption, poor intelligence sharing and underfunded local policing have hampered efforts to tackle the various crises.
Nigeria's defence minister resigned last month at the height of the kidnapping crisis, officially for health reasons, according to the president's office.
The US has recently become militarily involved in Nigeria - launching airstrikes on Christmas Day on two camps run by an Islamist militant group in north-western Nigeria.
Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump warned of more strikes if Christians continued to be killed in the West African nation.
There are more than 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, which is roughly divided into a mainly Muslim north, a largely Christian south, with intermingling in the middle - and the government says people of all faiths have been victims of attacks.
A Nigerian foreign ministry spokesman responded to Trump's warning by saying that Nigeria would continue to engage constructively with partners such as the US.
''Nigeria remains committed to protecting all citizens, Christians and Muslims alike, without discrimination,'' Alkasim Abdulkadir said.
Latest Stories
-
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
42 seconds -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
18 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
21 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
23 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
28 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
34 minutes -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
35 minutes -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
41 minutes -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
53 minutes -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
55 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
1 hour -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
1 hour -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
1 hour -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
1 hour