Member of Parliament for Afigya Sekyere East has urged fellow MPs to make health care a priority in the disbursement of their common fund.
Henry David Yeboah says development can only be achieved if electorates are in good health to productively work to earn a living.
According to him, though there are other pressing challenges and competing needs for the MPs Common Fund, it is important that health care is not neglected.
The MP made the statement at a ceremony to hand over infrastructural projects and three ambulances to the Agona Hospital.
The Agona hospital in Ashanti serves over thirty thousand inhabitants in its catchment area.
The hospital has seen little infrastructural development over the years to cope with the increasing numbers that patronize its services.
The situation is aggravated by the unwillingness of health professionals to take up positions there due to the acute lack of accommodation.
Most of the workers commute from Kumasi and Mampong to work and the hospital is spending a chunk of its internally generated funds to house essential staff.
According to MP for Afigya Sekyere East, Henry David Yeboah, this informed his decision to put up a 42-bed ward and 42-bedroom nurses quarters from his common fund and health insurance fund for the Agona hospital.
The nurse’s quarters is expected to house eight single nurses posted to the district.
It has a bore hole to supply water and moves are far advanced to extend electricity to the area.
The projects together with three ambulances were handed over to the Agona hospital over the weekend.
Afigya Sekyere South District Director of Health, Dr Lameck Addo lauded the MP for his gesture.
He appealed for a blood bank for the district, which receives many accident cases from the Kumasi Mampong Highway.
According to him, two maternal deaths recorded in the hospital this year could have been prevented if there was a blood bank.
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 36th ICAG Graduation Ceremony; female UCC alumni crowned overall best candidate
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Black Stars coaches Arrears: Appiah and Akonnor paid combined $213,000
Quality healthcare at Upper West Regional Hospital impeded over lack of food supply
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
John Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
‘Let’s not lose our guard on Covid-19’ – NCCE cautions public
NDC party was formed to give voice to the voiceless-Antwi Boasiako
JoyBusiness’ MoneyLab educates on steps to follow to avoid fraud
Ghana claims 88 percent of 2020 WASSCE 8As
We want to model Ghanaian youth to become good citizens – ISGF Africa Chairman
Court reveals 13 factors behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
Message from the Morning Man: Sandbags
Forum held at Tema meant to reaffirm cadres group as major organ in NDC – Ben Ephson
Kwasi Korang: NPP leadership should be bold and stop the Bawumia camp from campaigning
Bawumia is a gem – Ama Busia
‘Bawumia is more than qualified to lead the NPP in 2024’ – Ama Busia
Group makes schooling attractive for blind and deaf student in Cape Coast through sports