I have been praying to God to bless me with 90 years on earth before I join him in heaven but I might want to give this request a second thought.
This is because of the perception our society has about old women.
Thinking of a society where witch camps are built for old women, old women being blamed for people’s frustrations, death, childlessness, and other misfortunes that happen in society saddens me.
As a society, our perception of poor women is that when they grow old, they become “witches”.
Why are poor old men not tagged as wizards? I just cannot fathom where this whole thing began.
In the Holy Book, a letter of St Paul to Timothy 5:1, “Do not rebuke an older man harshly but extort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity” From the Holy Book, old women are supposed to be treated as mothers whether they are poor or rich but that is contrary to what our society does.
Let’s think through what happened at the Savannah Region some few weeks ago.
A priestess claimed she heard God speak to her that the late Madam Adjoa Denteh, may her soul rest in perfect peace, is a witch and is responsible for their frustrations and unplanned lives.
In a viral video, we see women who are supposed to support their fellow women subject the beautiful old lady to brutality. I must say, i was unable to watch this video to the end.
Hmm, I wonder if these fellow women who thought that Adjoa Denteh was a witch and was responsible for their predicaments and frustrations are now better off or they have transformed lives after they subjected her to that unfortunate brutality.
As a society let us know these old women also have the same human rights each and every one has, let’s leave them to enjoy the privileges and rights they are entitled to before their maker calls them to eternity.
I advise young men and women to work hard, build their talents and pray as well and stop attributing their frustrations to old women in their families and society.
I am happy the perpetrators who committed that heinous crime to Adjoa Denteh are in the grips of the law, they deserve the necessary punishment from the state.
I am also happy the ministry of Gender, Children and Social protection have said they are going to close all witch camps in our country. Madam Adjoa Denteh, may your soul rest in perfect peace.
About the author: Nana Adjoa Denkyi is passionate about mentoring and educating young ladies to become leaders of change. She currently works with an NGO in Accra which promotes girl’s education and women empowerment.
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretence – Chief Director
- Heavy downpour renders Damongo residents homeless
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Education Minister engages stakeholders of Christian Mission Schools over Wesley Girls’ brouhaha
Enimil Ashon: #Fix our values; everything else will get fixed
Davido set to host his debut Twitter Space
Israel intensifies attacks in Gaza as conflict enters fifth day
OccupyGhana calls for independent body of inquiry to investigate Caleb Kudah’s assault allegations
Nigerian army denies Boko Haram Eid donation reports
Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
2 jailed 26 years over attempted robbery
Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product GH¢30 per bag
Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretenses – Chief Director
Council of States donates to inpatients of Bole Hospital
Top scientists question the need for Covid-19 booster shots
Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid-19 engagements
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 14, 2021
NSMQ2021: Perfect ‘salah’ gift as Tamale SHS wins maiden Northern Zonal Championship
Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan