The Ghana Chess Association (GCA) will January 12, 2012 hold its first National Chess Championship at the Accra Sports Stadium.
The championship under the sponsorship of rlg Communications, a Ghanaian company that assembles mobile phones and laptop computers, is expected to attract top players across the country to compete for the ultimate prize.
A statement from the GCA said 11 champions from past competitions together with the national champions will vie for the national title in the championship, which is scheduled to end on January 16, 2012.
The GCA has therefore extended invitation to 16 male and five female players to participate in the competition.
The invited players includes; Francis Anquandah, Kojo Hasford, Kwadwo Bonsu, Nii Koney Kwaku Koney, Lionel Adu, Pastor Shepherd Lamb, Eddie Thompson, Sekou Nkrumah, Edward Sosu, George Arko Dadzie and Michael Ackam as the main male team, whilst Kwame Sekyere, Richard Garbah, Ismaila Nantoh and Philip Ameku in the reserve male team.
The female team has K. Addy, Docars Allotey, Paulina Vanguet, Araba mensima and Angela Ayiku.
Wing Commander George Arko-Dadzie, President of GCA described the sponsorship package rlg as gratifying and heartwarming.
He said the donation will be put to good use and call on other corporate bodies to support the sport.
Mr. Clarence Amenyah, the Marketing Manager who donated the items on behalf of rlg Communications, said his outfit will remain viable partners in the development of sports in Ghana.
The ultimate winner in the male division will take home one rlg Laptop, with the second and third place players taking home an rlg mobile phone each whilst the winner in the female category will also receive one rlg mobile phone.
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- We need a national discussion on how to make Ghana’s debt sustainable – Ato Forson
- Morocco issues first cannabis production permits
- Ukraine’s uphill battle to gain Africa’s support
- Victims of human trafficking need adequate information on the issue – Media consultant
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable -Dr. Acheampong
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Scientists, policy makers to benefit from KNUST’s Building Stronger Universities project
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line in the sea for 9 years
- We are determined to build trustworthy and robust institutions – Chief Justice assures
- B. A. Mensah: Ghanaians are about to get a break from the fuel crisis
- Playback: PM Express discusses Ghana’s unsustainable debt levels and impact on IMF negotiations
- I will deal with government officials found complicit in galamsey activities – Akufo-Addo
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu, Bessa Simons, Spiky, others confirmed as speakers for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- Nigerian singer Asa threatens Joeboy with copyright lawsuit, demands ₦300m