The mother of Minnesota Timberwolves centre Karl-Anthony Towns has died of complications from the coronavirus.
Last month, Towns posted a video on social media urging people to take the virus seriously after his mother, Jacqueline, was put into a medically-induced coma.
She died on Monday, more than a month after contracting the coronavirus, aged 58.
Her family said it was “heartbroken” by her “untimely passing”.
“Jackie was many things to many people – a wife, mother, daughter, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend,” said the family.
“The matriarch of the Towns family, she was an incredible source of strength; a fiery, caring, and extremely loving person, who touched everyone she met.
“Her passion was palpable and her energy will never be replaced.”
The Timberwolves said: “In the four-plus years we were fortunate to know Jackie, she became part of our family.
“As Karl’s number one fan, Jackie provided constant and positive energy for him and was beloved by our entire organisation.”
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- Substantial elements of Anti-LGBTQ bill have been modified – Akufo-Addo
- Debt servicing relief: China pledges to support Ghana
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- U.S government to send resident advisor to help Ghana attain debt sustainability
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Sarkodie takes daughter Titi on an adventure
- 8 die on River Oti due to capsized boat
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Afriyie Barnieh, Issahaku and Nuamah start for Black Meteors against Algeria
- Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor eulogises late Kumawu MP, Philip Basoah
- Build partnerships to increase digital inclusion – Kamala Harris
- Majority MPs wear black as Parliament mourns late Philip Basoah
- Together we will address the challenges we face – Kamala Harris on partnership with Africa
- Falling oil price only explanation for low fuel prices
- Policy rate increase will exacerbate challenges confronting businesses, hamper growth and employment – GNCCI
- You don’t need money to make money; you need mindset – Oscar Bimpong
- Banks record significant losses due to DDEP – BoG
- US is committed to strengthening relationship with Africa – Kamala Harris
- Bond market: Trading activity in government bonds slumps by 15.5
- Let’s continue to invest in good governance, democracy – Kamala Harris
- T-bills auction: Government to borrow ¢1.34bn this week