Audio By Carbonatix
The newly appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Food Buffer Stock Company (NAFCO), George Abradu-Otoo, has vowed to reposition the company to ensure consistent food availability and price stability in the domestic market.
This will be done through the implementation of existing and introduction of new initiatives to curb inflation.
Currently, the country’s 13 out of the top 15 inflation-driving items are food-related.
NAFCO, a wholly government-owned entity, is tasked with purchasing surplus maize, rice, millet, beans, sorghum, and soybeans from farmers, preserving these staples, and distributing them to state institutions.
Speaking exclusively to the Ghana News Agency on the sidelines of a handover ceremony in Accra on Monday, February 3, Mr. Abradu-Otoo, an agricultural expert, outlined his vision for the company.
“Our focus is to fulfill our mandate by ensuring greater public access to foodstuffs, storing them for the lean season, and guaranteeing fair prices for farmers,” he said.

Despite advancements over the years, food insecurity remains a pressing issue in Ghana, with the World Food Programme (WFP) estimating that over one million people in the country are food insecure, while one million children under five are chronically malnourished.
Mr Abradu-Otoo reaffirmed his commitment to strengthening NAFCO’s operations by diligently working towards supporting the Government’s reset agenda through ensuring that food security was a tangible reality for all Ghanaians.
He acknowledged that while the company’s framework appeared solid on paper, a thorough review of its operations and financials was necessary to effectively reposition the buffer stock system.
Mr Abradu-Otoo commended the outgoing CEO and the NAFCO Board for laying a strong foundation and pledged to build on their achievements.
He expressed his intention to leverage the expertise of the outgoing CEO, the Board Chair, and all relevant stakeholders to enhance the company’s role in ensuring food security.
Hanan Abdul-Wahab, the immediate past CEO, urged his successor to prioritise initiatives that would improve long-term storage infrastructure.
Addressing NAFCO staff, Mr Abdul-Wahab said, “This marks a new phase for NAFCO. Give your full support to the new leadership in the interest of Ghana.”
Reflecting on his nearly eight-year tenure, he stated that there had been expansion of licensed buying companies from 100 to 1,200 and the extension of operations to all 16 regions, up from the previous three regional centres in Ashanti, Brong Ahafo, and Northern regions.
Additionally, NAFCO’s storage capacity has grown to 100,000 metric tonnes, thanks to rehabilitation efforts and the One District-One Warehouse initiative.
The company also played a critical role in the implementation of the Free Senior High School (Free SHS) programme, supplying food items to over 700 secondary schools nationwide.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
23 minutes -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
30 minutes -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
40 minutes -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
42 minutes -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
44 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
1 hour -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
1 hour -
Patients face basic sanitation gaps in West African health facilities — WHO / UNICEF
1 hour -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
1 hour -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
2 hours -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 hours -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
2 hours -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
2 hours -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
3 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
3 hours