The head of Nigerian police says a new unit has been set up to replace the controversial Special Anti Robbery Squad, known as Sars, which was disbanded following protests over human rights abuses.
The new unit will be known as Swat or the Special Weapons and Tactics Team.
Correspondents say many Nigerians are sceptical and continue to protest to call for major police reforms.
In a bid to address the concerns the police chief said all members from the disbanded Sars unit would undergo a psychological and medical examination before further training and redeployment.
He also ordered the unconditional release of all people arrested during the protests.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group
- US halts Blinken China visit after spy balloon row
- 150 unemployed youth from Tamale enrolls in the Sinapi Aba Youth Apprenticeship Program
- You’re responsible for your personal well-being, take charge – Ariel the Wellness Coach
- The BMPS Show: Is being vulnerable to your partner a sign of weakness?
- JoyNews gets results: 85 schools in Kpandai to receive 5,000 desks