Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) is expected to hold an urgent meeting with political parties and members of its Eminent Advisory Committee over its decision to compile a new voters’ register.
The meeting comes after the Inter-party Resistance Against New Voters’ Register led by the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) - made a sudden turnaround and announced the resumption of a series of protests against the EC’s decision to compile a register for the polls.
The commission, in its quest to resolve concerns by the NDC tells JoyNews, the parties will be consulted on the best approach in compiling the new roll.
Director of Electoral Services Dr. Serebour Quaicoe said “we are going to talk to them about the new voters’ register.”
In response to a question posed by JoyNews’ Evans Mensah on whether it was going to be a consultative process or an explanation, Dr. Quaicoe asserted that “if I am consulting you I am seeking your advice. So yes, we are going to do consultation.”
He continued: “We have always been seeking their advice about how best to go about the new registration.”
Meanwhile, the opposition NDC is demanding a live coverage for Thursday’s IPAC meeting but however insists their position remain unchanged. National Organiser for the party, Joshua Akamba believes this move will ensure transparency in the process.
“I wish that Ghanaians will see what will be happening in there. I will plead that they should telecast it live for everybody to see exactly what the problem is and let’s discuss it. We have nothing to run away from,” he explained.
The Inter-Party Resistance Against New Voters’ Register had earlier suspended protests against the EC’s decision, having organised two successful exercise – one in Tamale and another in Kumasi.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
6 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
6 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
7 hours