Gold trading firm Menzgold, says fears of an of attack from some of its clients has forced it to shut down.
The firm had scheduled to pay dividends to its clients Friday, October 5, 2018, but checks by Joy News reveal all offices of the company have been closed.
Emmanuel Dzivenu was at the East Legon branch at midday and reported that there was no activity at the premises.
“There are notices on the building indicating that they have ceased operations until further notice,” he reported.
According to him, there was a police patrol vehicle with two officers in it at the time of his visit but no worker of the firm was present.
Deputy Head of Communications, Nii Armah Amartefio told Joy FM’s the company has not completely shut down.
He said although they had planned to pay customers as stipulated in the payment schedule, news about attacks on some of the company’s staff on Thursday, caused the temporary closure.
“We were in a meeting when we started having information that some of our staff members had been attacked by customers and based on that we decided that doing business today will not be favourable. That is why we decided today and not operated,” he said.
Mr Amartefio, however, said text messages have been sent to the customers and they are being engaged. He promised a new date will be announced.
“We are having an engagement with them to discuss the way forward in terms of how to pay everybody. So, if we reach an agreement by close of day Friday, we will come out with a communiqué regarding when we will resume payment,” he said.
He assured customers that “their investments are safe, no one is going to lose their investments.”
Menzgold is in a tussle with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Bank of Ghana (BoG) over claims it is operating a business not covered by an operating license.
But Menzgold insists its services do not breach any regulation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ga West Municipal Assembly auctions 4 "arrested" goats for ¢665
- BOST signs Collective Bargaining Agreement with Senior Staff
- Ethiopian Airlines is Africa’s Best Airline for 3rd consecutive year
- Stereotyping Nigerians: High Commissioner was right to caution media
- Judge summons IGP, CID boss as contempt looms
- Sonrise fails to shine as Pope John record first NSMQ win in two years
- A few Nigerians committing crimes in Ghana - Dr Antwi Danso
- Agyenim Boateng blasts CID for arresting Nigerian professor
- No arrests made in fatal Achimota clashes
- CAMFED echos call for more action against teenage pregnancy
- Catholic Bishop wants to drop holy water out of a helicopter in mass exorcism
- From the newsstands: Wednesday, June 19, 2019
- Worldwide displacement tops 70m - UN urges solidarity in response
- ‘Show us this idiot’: Nigerian community wants to meet suspect in missing Taadi girls case
- High court backs NCA’s 45km maximum coverage radius for radio stations