At least four soldiers and some individuals claiming to be national security operatives have been arrested for extorting monies from illegal small-scale miners popularly referred to as galamsey.
According to Luv FM's Erastus Asare Odonkor, the suspects allegedly demanded an amount of 30,000.00 from the small-scale miners who they were to arrest and process for prosecution under the mining law.
The arrest took place at Adokwai in Fomena Dompase in the Ashanti Region where the suspects claimed to be members of the operation vanguard team set up by the government to fight the menace of the illegal small-scale mining.
They were busily negotiating for their share in the booty when members of the operation vanguard team swooped in on them.
The suspects are Wo1 Akapame Michael, Acheampong Francis and Ansah Larbi all of Base Workshop Burma Camp.
The other civilians are Samuel Bruce a barber at Burma camp, Yaw Mensah electrician, Antwi Maxwell, a Freelance journalist and Mavis Addo hairdresser. Others are Philip Anane and Henry Prempeh both of whom were said to be driving two separate vehicles were arrested at Cosy lodge in Kumasi.
Items retrieved from the suspects include six sets of military uniforms, two military Boot, three military bags and one pistol.
A Toyota Land Cruiser with Registration No.GE 1121-14 and Toyota Prado with registration No. GR 7372-16 were all impounded.
According to Erastus Odonkor the four soldiers involved were handed over to the acting Commanding Officer, 4 BN for further investigation.
It remains to be seen what the military hierarchy will do to the suspects after the investigation.
There have been suggestions members of the anti-galamsey taskforce have been involved in the illegal activity, an allegation the military and police top hierarchy have been quick to deny.
The remaining suspects have been detained in the Ashanti Region but will soon be sent to Accra as part of the investigation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 'Dead' man turns up two months after burial
- Police unit ambushed; Commander in critical condition after gunshot wounds
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate