A 30-year-old Indian businessman has been abducted Thursday by gunmen in Kumasi, the Ashanti Region capital.
Eyewitnesses say Umpakan Chodri was forcibly taken and pushed inside a vehicle around Ahwodwo, a suburb of Kumasi, late afternoon.
The witnesses tell the victim’s brother, Tamil Kumar, that the kidnappers, numbering about three, first tapped on Umpakan Chodri’s vehicle that he has a flat tyre.
When Umpakan got out of his vehicle to check the tyre, the kidnappers rushed on him, pulled a gun, slapped his face before pushing him into a vehicle and speeding away.
The kidnappers did not take anything from the Umpakan’s vehicle, Tamil told Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor.
Tamil suspects the kidnappers have mistaken his brother for a gold dealer.
Tamil says he has since filed a report at the Central Police Command.
There are fears among a section of the Ghanaian public that kidnapping cases are on the ascendency.
Police recently foiled a kidnap-for-ransom incident involving a diplomat.
Photo: Kidnapping statistics for 2018 (Source: Ghana Police Service)
Sixty-one years old Nabil Makram Basbous, the Consular-General and Head of Mission of Estonia to Ghana was allegedly kidnapped last Thursday, during his regular morning walk in his neighbourhood in Accra.
Basbous was abducted by three gunmen suspected to be Nigerians.
The ambassador was held hostage in an unknown location until he was rescued by the Police.
Police are currently under pressure to rescue some three girls who were kidnapped in Takoradi, the Western Region.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day