The government faces fresh opposition to its intent on introducing a game-changing bill to Parliament concerning public universities in the country.
The latest has to do with the renaming of four public universities.
Former President, Jerry John Rawlings has declined the proposed renaming of the University of Development Studies (UDS) after him.
In a statement Tuesday, Rawlings noted that when he was approached in 2017 on the renaming, “he thanked the President and the government for the honour, but politely declined.”
According to the statement, Rawlings’ reason for rejecting the offer is that he has “a long-standing principle not to have national monuments and facilities named after him.”
“Indeed in November 2015 when the then government of the day offered to name the Offshore Cape Three Points Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel after him he turned down the offer as well.”
Rawlings has since written to the Education Minister to “reiterate his position and kindly requested that the re-naming of UDS after him be withdrawn from the Draft Bill to be submitted to Parliament.”
“The former President once again thanks the President and all those who in diverse ways are keen on recognizing his contribution to the development of Education in the country,” the statement added.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Rawlings’ dispatch rider shot, suffers broken arm
- Video of chief allegedly slaughtering human is false - Police
- Krachi West supports 50 PWDs with start-up kits
- Registrar dragged to Special Prosecutor for allegedly awarding himself ȼ2m contract
- That's My Opinion: The People vs Nana Ansah Kwao IV
- Obinim fights GRA over ȼ769,000 unpaid taxes
- Assemblies of God begins 7-day fast for three kidnapped girls
- High court rescinds bail granted Gregory Afoko
- NaCCA to introduce shortcode to control ‘unapproved’ textbooks
- GES implements new curriculum September
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, July 15, 2019
- ECG, PDS dispel rumours about looming dumsor
- Former boxing champion turned pastry chef creates amazing wedding cakes
- UHAS ranked 12th best university in Ghana
- Domaine de Chantilly: The most elegant hotel in Paris