A 26-year-old footballer has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court for impregnating a 12-year-old girl at Teshie.
Derrick Tetteh, who did not have any legal representation pleaded guilty to the charge of defilement. The victim is currently six months pregnant.
The court presided over by Mrs Rita Abrokwah Doko convicted Tetteh on his own plea and sentenced him accordingly.
Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Kofi Atimbire told the court that the complainant in the matter is the victim‘s uncle.
He said Tetteh and the victim reside at different locations in Teshie. The Prosecution said during the month of June last year, Tetteh met the victim in the company of her sister and proposed love to her of which the victim ignorantly accepted.
Chief Inspector Atimbire said based on that Tetteh began having sex with the victim who later on became pregnant without knowing.
The Prosecution said the victim also started falling sick frequently, compelling the complainant to take her to the hospital for treatment.
He said during one of the visits to the hospital it came to light that the victim was 24 weeks (six months) pregnant. When the complainant asked the victim she mentioned Tetteh as her boyfriend and the one responsible for the pregnancy.
The Prosecution said the complainant reported the matter to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit of the Ghana Police Service at Nungua where he was issued with a medical report form to send the victim to the hospital for further medical examination.
He said Tetteh was later arrested by the Police as soon as the medical report form was returned to them.
The Prosecution said during interrogation Tetteh admitted having sex with the victim but denied being responsible for the pregnancy.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ghanaian language proficiency may soon become requirement for tertiary education
- Woman wants leather handbag made out of the skin on her amputated leg
- World Bank supports Ghana tourism with $40m grant
- Menzgold saga: Aggrieved customers disappointed in Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s directive on party militia commendable – NCCE
- New education curricula didn’t have our input - NAGRAT
- UN apppints Ghana's Martha Pobee to review Financing for Dev't
- Making Accra cleanest city in Africa by 2020: Akufo-Addo making progress?
- Obuasi alive with clients exhibition, trade show
- SONA 2019: Toilets provision evidence of $1m for each constituency pledge
- Photo of the week: The Rawlings-Akufo-Addo bromance continues
- Gov't announces plans to avert perennial Bagre Dam spillage
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6