Some persons affiliated to online news portal, Modernghana.com, have been arrested for allegedly plotting to launch cyber attacks on the systems of other media houses.
The arrests followed a tip-off that a group affiliated to has been engaged in some cybercrime activities targetted at other corporate organisations.
According to National Security sources, initial investigations suggest that the attacks, which are being deployed by associates of the online portal, are targetted at other media houses.
National security operatives on Thursday stormed the offices of the portal and arrested three of its editors after the website published a story on National Security Minister, Albert Kan Dapaah and governing New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Member of Parliament for Effutu constituency, Alexander Afenyo-Markin.
The editors' laptops and mobile phones were also seized in the course of the operations.
Explaining the modus operandi of the group, the state security source said they have been hacking into the emails and servers of popular competing websites and newsrooms.
By so doing, they intercept emails and stories being filed by correspondents for their own use.
Other attacks include the hacking of financial account information of competitors especially between correspondents, sources and stringers, the source added.
The security agency has since launched investigations into the claims.
Meanwhile, the whereabouts of the three content writers are yet to be known, Editor-in-Chief, William Nana Beeko has said.
“Nobody has any idea where they have been taken to and that’s scary...There has been a publication about the minister...it was an opinion piece. The people just came in today and took away laptops and arrested the staff,” he added.
More News Headlines
- ‘We won’t take it!’ - Widespread teacher anger over ¢50 allowance
- 3 houses burnt down in renewed clashes in Savannah Region
- Video: Cronyism, exceptionalism killing local financial institutions - Wereko-Brobby
- New monitoring, evaluation system rolled out for malaria control programme
- Communication Ministry responds to Myjoyonline report on 2017 expenses
- 2 'PDS' imposters arrested for forcefully disconnecting supply
- Journalists schooled on reporting on sensitive issues
- Ghana Grand conquers most difficult terrain
- Personality Profile: Prophet Kofi Oduro takes his turn
- Group calls for passage of Affirmative Action Bill
- We don’t oppose good education policies- Oppong Nkrumah
- Those who lost bank jobs have found new work- Deputy Employment Minister
- UNDP to use TICAD7 to advance sustainable development in Africa
- Former GJA president lauds Herbert Mensah, others for supporting journalism dev’t
- Hotel room rates in Accra ranked 2nd in Africa after Addis Ababa