Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the US Open because of the coronavirus pandemic, saying it “hurts me at my core” to miss the tournament.
Fellow Australian and women’s world number one Ashleigh Barty withdrew earlier this week.
In a video on social media, Kyrgios, 25, also criticised the behaviour of some players during the pandemic.
“Let’s take a breath here and remember what’s important, which is health and safety as a community,” said Kyrgios.
“We can rebuild our sport and the economy, but we can never recover lives lost.”
The world number 40 added: “It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport’s greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium.
“But I’m sitting out for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans that have lost their lives, for all of you. It’s my decision.”
Last month, the Australian said the United States Tennis Association (USTA) was “selfish” for staging the New York tournament, which starts on 31 August.
The event is set to be held without fans at Flushing Meadows with players having to follow strict measures.
Kyrgios now says he does not have a problem with the USTA or for players wanting to compete “so long as everyone acts appropriately and acts safely”.
Kyrgios has been a critic of men’s world number one Novak Djokovic’s decision to stage exhibition events during the pandemic, with a number of players who took part then testing positive for the virus, including the Serb.
“Tennis players, you have to act in the interest of each other and work together,” added Kyrgios.
“You can’t be dancing on tables, money grabbing your way around Europe or trying to make a quick buck hosting an exhibition. That’s just so selfish. Think of the other people for once, that is what this virus is about, it doesn’t care about your world ranking or how much money you have.”
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- NSMQ 2021: PRESEC beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- Akufo-Addo accepts Kissi Agyebeng’s nomination as Special Prosecutor, seeks Parliamentary approval
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary
- Ghana takes delivery of 350,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
I had sex with a goat, masturbated 6 times a day – Victim of sexual abuse recounts
Help us counter insurgent operation – Bawumia charges Prison Cadet graduands
Chinese rocket set to crash back to Earth at unknown location
More than 50 killed in fight over water resources in Central Asia
Oldest human burial in Africa found – A child laid to rest with pillow 78,000 years ago
He blocked me just a day after we had sex – Lady recounts
Feuding factions in decades-old Osu chieftaincy dispute smoke peace pipe
Eden Hazard apologises to Real Madrid fans for laughing with Chelsea players
Legon Cities deny Bashir Hayford’s dismissal rumors
Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 23
Fix our road or we’ll fix it ourselves with your revenue – Darisalam youth to Central Gonja District Assembly
Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed