Six persons were on Wednesday trapped in the rubble of a four-storey building that collapsed in Onitsha, Anambra State of Nigeria.
The building was located on No 7 Ezenwa Street, Onitsha.
An eyewitness said the building under construction caved in around 1.45pm and that eight persons were inside it when it collapsed.
The source said two persons managed to escape, while the site engineer and five labourers were trapped.
It was gathered that the building was owned by a lawyer.
Sympathisers blamed the collapse on the use of substandard materials for the construction.
The Divisional Police Officer, Onitsha Central Police Station, Ifeanyi Iburu, led a team of security personnel and the Red Cross to the scene to coordinate the rescue efforts.
Sympathisers and residents also joined in the rescue.
Confirming the incident, the Chairman, Red Cross Society in Anambra State, Prof. Peter Katchy, said the rescued victims had been rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
He said, “One of the persons rescued by the Red Cross is at the intensive care unit of the Holy Rosary Hospital, Waterside Onitsha, while another is at the General Hospital, Onitsha.
“Four are still trapped under the rubble of the collapsed building, including the site engineer. The excavator and earth moving equipment have just arrived.”
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Desist from gifting out cedi bouquets, hampers; it is illegal – BoG warns
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ70k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display
- Police to probe death of Yul Edochie’s son
- Morocco King hailed for the Atlas Lions’ growing status
- Managers of Hillburi hotel arrested for alleged power theft
- Blatant power theft in Ghana very worrying – ECG
- Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ excites patrons
- ‘He’s clueless’ – Derek Boateng lashes out at Milovan Rajevac
- Son of murdered Mujipe chief reveals names of assailants
- Policy framework for aluminium downstream industry in the offing – CEO of GIADEC
- Trump indictment: A simple guide to what it means
- “Time for Dogboe to strap the title belt” – Patrice Harris