Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria’s central bank plans to charge 12 banks a total of more than 400 billion naira ($1.3 billion) for failing to meet its minimum loan-to-deposit ratio requirement by a September deadline, three banking sources told Reuters on Thursday.
The central bank has been seeking to boost credit to businesses and consumers after a recent recession in Africa’s biggest economy, but lending has yet to pick up. With growth slow, banks prefer to park cash in risk-free government securities rather than lend to companies and consumers.
Nigeria’s economy is expected to pick up in 2019 with gross domestic product expanding close to 3%, up from 1.9% last year, according to the central bank.
In July, the central bank asked lenders to maintain a ratio of lending out at least 60% of deposits by September as part of measures aimed at getting credit flowing.
Bank chief executives plan to meet with the banking regulator in Abuja on Thursday to discuss the charges, the sources said.
The local units of Citibank and Standard Chartered Bank are among those affected, the sources said.
Other include top tier Nigerian lenders Zenith Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, First Bank and United Bank for Africa.
The central bank did not respond to a request for immediate comment. The banks declined to comment.
Lenders have done little to expand borrowing in Nigeria, blaming a weak economy after a 2014 oil price crash and a currency crisis that made loans go sour. Analysts fear growing credit quickly could weaken asset quality and capital buffers.
The central bank has said loans rose 5.3% in the three months to the end of September to 16.40 trillion naira, due the new minimum requirement and increased the lending ratio target in what it said was a move to sustain the momentum.
Latest Stories
-
‘Jesus was accused; he kept quiet’ – Afenyo-Markin softens stance on legal action against Gyamfi
6 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Accra High steals one-eighth ticket from Sunyani SHS in stunning final-round twist
7 minutes -
Kejelcha breaks men’s half marathon world record by 29 seconds
8 minutes -
Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims
34 minutes -
NDC yet to deliver key 2024 campaign promises – Afenyo-Markin
37 minutes -
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
2 hours -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
2 hours -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
2 hours -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
2 hours -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
2 hours -
Why celebrate $2.62bn FDI while losing $1.7bn under the Domestic Gold Programme? IERPP asks
2 hours -
COKA urges NPP executives to return to party’s core values ahead of 2028
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Nsutaman stages comeback against Serwaa Nyarko Girls, Hope College to book One-Eighth spot
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Fafraha Community SHS defy odds to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours