Audio By Carbonatix
The ever twisting tale about renewing Stephen Keshi's contract as Nigeria coach has taken a new twist with Keshi accusing his country's football federation of offering him a "slave contract".
Since the Super Eagles coach's initial three-year contract expired in June last year, the NFF has been footdragging on the issue of handing him a new contract, with many in the former NFF leadership of Aminu Maigari and in the new leadership of Amaju Pinnick not favourably disposed to the 53-year-old tactician being retained.
However Keshi has powerful friends in the country's presidency who want his contract renewed because they believe he did well for the team after winning the 2013 Nations Cup crown and taking the Super Eagles to the last-16 of the 2014 World Cup.
When Keshi was sacked by the Pinnick exco during the AFCON qualifiers in October last year, the Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan was reported to have ordered his reinstatement.
The former Togo and Mali boss then failed to secure qualification for the 2015 AFCON, leading to widespread calls for his sack in Nigeria. However it is believed that the fear of the presidency has forced the NFF to keep Keshi in the picture while devising ways to delay offering him a new deal in the hope that he gets another job elsewhere.
Following Equatorial Guinea and Burkina Faso recently overlooking the former Nigeria skipper, the NFF has now tabled an offer that Keshi finds frustrating.
"From the clauses I have seen so far, I don't know what words to use but the contract can be described as a 'slave contract'", he said.
The new offer is a two-year contract expected to take effect from March 1, but Keshi would be required to sign a code of conduct. It comes with several targets the NFF expects Keshi to achieve, failing which the deal would be voided.
The contract will also pay Keshi five million naira monthly - same as in his first stint, but the recent devaluation of the naira means he gets less value in US dollars.
The Super Eagles begin a new phase of development next month with two friendlies scheduled against Bolivia and Ghana on March 26 and March 29.
Latest Stories
-
Anthropic revenue run rate tops $65 billion, source says
1 minute -
Tesla prepares for Cybercab launch in August starting with rides to employees
9 minutes -
Google to buy Spirit Airlines business data for $10 million
18 minutes -
The goat is now a celebrity – how this graduation gift went viral
24 minutes -
Jason Arday’s family ‘still coming to terms’ with his death as vigil held
33 minutes -
Namibia, Ghana eye strategic bilateral cooperation in Volta Region
44 minutes -
Jasikan midwives deliver baby at roadside
53 minutes -
Police arrest 14 suspected narcotic plant farmers at Daliga
1 hour -
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
3 hours -
Cagliari’s Trepy in intensive care after pool incident
3 hours -
Chelsea co-owners Boehly & Walter explore selling stakes
3 hours -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
3 hours -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
3 hours -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
3 hours -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
3 hours