A leading humanist group in the UK has called for the release of the man who heads the Humanist Association of Nigeria.
Mubarak Bala was detained on account of his activism in Kaduna, Humanists UK says.
“The arrest comes following a pattern of online and physical harassment, culminating in a legal petition to the police accusing him of being ‘provocative and annoying to Muslims’ on Facebook’,” the group said in a statement.
Humanists UK, alongside Humanists International, says it fears that he may be handed over to the authorities in neighbouring Kano state, where, if charged with blasphemy, he could face the death penalty under the state’s Islamic laws.
Humanists UK says it has written to the UK Foreign Office and the relevant UN special rapporteurs to raise Mr Bala’s case and apply pressure on the Nigerian authorities to request his safe release.
The group is also hiring legal representation in Lagos.
Nigeria is a deeply religious country. The state of Kaduna mirrors the country as a whole, with the south largely inhabited by Christian groups, while Muslims form a majority in the north.
In 2014 the BBC reported that Mr Bala was being treated at a mental institution in Kano state because he said he did not believe in God
- Christian Atsu: Hatayspor official says there was mistaken identity, player still not found
- Turkey Earthquakes: Christian Atsu can’t be located 24 hours after rescue – Family
- Death of Gospel musician’s brother: Pathologist cites asphyxiation, obstruction of airway by foreign body as cause of death
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Government forcing banks to coerce customers to accept DDEP – Senyo Hosi
- Tema Motorway is gone; apply common sense when driving – Expert tells drivers
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- We’ll not allow the Judiciary to be used to intimidate Ablakwa from carrying out mandate – Minority
- Funke Akindele loses mom
- Domestic Debt Exchange: We’ve achieved more than 50% of participation – Deputy Finance Minister
- Medikal, Quamina MP & Yaw TOG join TsaQa on Accra Fanfooler remix
- Enchi: 14 persons arrested over disturbance at NPP constituency elections
- I had a child out of wedlock after 20 years of marriage; my wife never left – Couple shares love journey
- All the newly appointed ministers are competent – Asiedu Kokuro
- NEDCo staff want Managing Director out
- Daniel Kwabena Owusu: Driving inclusive economic growth through the Africa digital economy
- UK property register: What 3 luxury homes reveal about who owns UK real estate
- Persons who collapse during sex have underlying medical conditions – Dr. Osarfo
- AngloGold Ashanti holds 2nd edition of “Start Right, End Well” mentorship programme
- ‘We cannot discard these utterances as vain talk’ – NPP reacts to Suame NDC Youth Organiser
- We do not love ourselves as Ghanaians – Jay Foley asserts
- Hold Akufo-Addo and National Security responsible if Ablakwa is harmed – Ras Mubarak
- Improvised explosive device was nearly used to blow a bridge in Bawku – Defence Minister
- Death of gospel musician’s brother: Police Report inconsistent – Jomoro MP
- Bounou, Courtois and Martinez make final three for FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper of the Year