Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu has said President Akufo-Addo is doomed to fail in the fight against corruption in the country.
According to him, Akufo-Addo does not prioritise the personnel at the helm of the Office of the Special Prosecutor as he lacks the political will to battle the corruption canker.
His comment was triggered by the nomination of a private legal practitioner, Kissi Agyebeng to the OSP after the resignation of Martin Amidu about five months ago.
“So it doesn’t matter to me who he appoints there, he is doomed to fail and he has failed and would fail because he just doesn’t have the political will to fight corruption.”
Speaking to JoyNews Tuesday, Haruna Iddrisu said Akufo-Addo’s reputation as a person committed to combating corruption is in tatters as observed by Professor Gyima Boadu of CDD and as rightly described by Martin Amidu as the mother serpent of corruption.
Martin Amidu, before resigning as Special Prosecutor had described the President as ‘mother serpent of corruption’ following issues that surrounded his work and resignation of office.
Although Akufo-Addo on several occasions has publicly indicated his commitment to the fight against corruption, the Tamale South MP observed the President does the contrary.
“Show me, give me one example of Nana Addo Danquah appointee who’s been hauled before court for corruption or matters relating to abuse of office, none, zero,” he pointed.
“So it doesn’t matter who he recommends, he just doesn’t have the will to fight corruption,” he stressed.
Mr Iddrisu maintains such occurrences only mean Akufo-Addo is incapable of making corruption a high-risk activity in the country, “Ghana’s rate internationally is worrying, it has become a disincentive to major investors into our country.”
Citing the fight against illegal small scale mining under the Akufo-Addo administration, Mr Iddrisu quizzed “you recover and you’re asked to return, is that how to fight corruption.”
“I ceased those equipment and when there is public outcry you return those equipment, that’s Nana’s way of fighting and combating corruption.”
According to him, laws alone is not enough to fight corruption as the country holds enough legislation on corruption therefore a sure way to win the fight is by will.
“You see bribery and corruption is the only offence where both the giver and the receiver benefit so building the evidence is always problematic if not difficult,” he apprised.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Falling interest rates to boost private sector growth – Alhassan Andani
- Profile of Anthony Akoto Osei
- Former Black Stars player Emmanuel Oblitey dies at 69
- Mahama to speak on transparent financing of political campaigns today
- Eno Barony raps better than many male rappers in Ghana – Medikal
- Government calls for more donor funding in agric sector
- ECG disconnects Cape Coast Sports Stadium over GH¢513k legacy debt
- Lotto agent in court for over GH¢253k theft
- Corporate institutions urged to implement leadership programmes to equip youth for job market
- Medikal bought 6 cars for Shaxi – Shatta Wale
- VGMA has to come and see me before I get involved in the scheme – Shatta Wale
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ed Sheeran ‘didn’t want to live’ after tragic year
- Netcowas lauds community-managed portable water services in Ghana
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship