Audio By Carbonatix
Awal Mohammed, a member of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) communications team, has criticised the Mahama government’s approach to the fight against illegal mining, insisting that there has been no meaningful change in strategy as the country looks ahead to the President’s second term beginning in 2026.
Speaking on the AM Show, Mr Mohammed argued that the government’s actions over the past year do not represent progress compared to efforts made before the 2024 elections. “I think the government has really done nothing.
Yes, that I can say emphatically,” he said, questioning what new measures have been introduced since the change in administration.
According to him, key enforcement actions such as arrests, prosecutions and the seizure and destruction of excavators were already taking place in 2024 under the previous administration. He suggested that continuing similar actions without a clear shift in strategy cannot be described as decisive action against galamsey.
“In 2024 we were doing arrests. We were even burning excavators. We were jailing people,” he stated.
Awal Mohammed also referenced comments made by President John Dramani Mahama during the 2024 campaign, when the then-opposition leader spoke about offering amnesty to some young people involved in illegal mining, arguing that the real culprits were powerful financiers behind the operations. In his view, this approach has emboldened key actors in the sector rather than dismantling their networks.
The NPP communicator further expressed concern about what he described as rising boldness among illegal mining interests, pointing to recent reports of violent confrontations involving security agencies. He cited an incident in which, according to him, an MP allegedly organised a group to attack military personnel at a police station, describing it as unprecedented.
“In the last year, this is the first time we are hearing an MP organised a group of people to attack military people in a police station,” he claimed.
Illegal mining, commonly known as galamsey, remains a major national issue, blamed for widespread environmental destruction, polluted water bodies and threats to public health.
The Mahama administration has repeatedly pledged to intensify the fight against the menace, while critics, particularly from the opposition NPP, argue that political interference and lack of political will continue to undermine enforcement efforts.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours