Obuasi Complex Junior High School has been adjudged winners of Anglogold Ashanti’s 2020 Annual Quiz Competition held in Obuasi.
Obuasi Complex claimed 60 points to clinch the prize, beating Independence JHS ‘A’ and ‘B’, and Sanso JHS.
Sanso JHS came 2nd with 35 points while Independence JHS ‘A’ and ‘B’ won the 3rd and 4th place with 32 and 22 points respectively.
For their prize, Complex took home four computers, a printer, four boxes of BIC pen, 200 exercise books, two dictionaries for their library, and a trophy.
The Contestants also received Tablet each, backpacks, 20 exercise books each, 10 foolscap notebooks each, dictionary, math set, and a gold medal.
The annual quiz competition, which is organized in collaboration with the Education Directorates of the Obuasi East and Municipal Districts, formed part of AngloGold Ashanti’s Educational Improvement Programme (EIP), which involved 43 schools from both Districts.
Speaking at the awards ceremony, the Senior Sustainability Manager of AngloGold Ashanti Obuasi Mine, Mr. Emmanuel Baidoo, said the Educational Improvement Plan was one of the strategic pillars in the Social Management Plan launched last year to help diversify and grow the economy of Obuasi while ensuring development in host communities.
The EIP, he stressed, was geared towards increasing the pass rate in the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in Obuasi from 81 percent to 90 percent by 2021.
The Municipal Chief Executive, Mr. Elijah Adansi Bonah said the quiz competition had become the bedrock for education in Obuasi.
He urged parents to support their children and to encourage them to partake in the quiz whenever it was organized.
Mr. Adansi Bonah also urged pupils in the Municipality to take their studies seriously to enable them to access higher education at the KNUST Obuasi campus which was recently commissioned by the President, Nana Akufo-Addo.
Mrs. Leticia Obeng, District Director of Education for Obuasi East, said her outfit had a memorandum of understanding with AGA to see the development of education in Adansi and particularly, in Obuasi.
The quiz competition was one of the many interventions to help in the development of education and it had created the platform for both pupils and teachers to learn and prepare well.
Master Jeffery Asiedu, a contestant from Obuasi Complex School, expressed his joy and thanked AGA for the programme.
Nana Amoanimaa Dede, the Adansihemaa, expressed her gratitude to AGA for the effort to improve education in Obuasi and the Adansi enclave.
She also urged the pupils to take their education seriously and work to be successful in future.
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- Ekow Blankson’s last video goes viral on social media
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Suicide is never an option – Funny Face
- ‘Galamsey’ poses an existential threat to our future – Akufo-Addo
- Samira Bawumia addresses 2nd high-level meeting of WHO’s HEPA
- Zambia ex-Health Minister charged with $17m in corruption scandal
- Miss Rwanda organiser to be jailed 16 years for sexually abusing contestants
- E-Levy is slowing government’s digital agenda – Telecoms Chamber warns
- Burkina Faso’s coup leader assumes presidency
- Arrest all 3 men – Sonnie Badu tells police after man flogging toddler goes viral
- BoG partners key players in financial sector to address challenges
- Black Stars drop to 61st in latest FIFA/Coca-Cola World rankings
- We’re hopeful of securing IMF programme before end of 2022 – Ofori-Atta
- PETROSOL congratulated for tax compliance
- Mexico mayor assassinated in town hall massacre
- Only a determined effort in galamsey fight will help us Break the 8 – Akufo-Addo
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, October 6, 2022
- Only real action will help us win galamsey fight, not words – Concerned Small Scale Miners Association
- Solidarity among Muslims healthy for Ghana’s growth – Akufo-Addo ￼