A Columbus, Ohio, police officer who shot and killed a Black man Tuesday morning didn’t have his body camera turned on at the time, Mayor Andrew Ginther said.
The officer has been suspended pending an investigation, Ginther said at a news conference.The mayor said he was “greatly” disturbed that the officer did not turn on the body camera until after the shooting.
“A function of the technology (body cameras) provides a 60-second look back,” Ginther said, but does not record audio.
So, investigators have video of the shooting but no sound recording of what was said, the mayor said.
A Columbus, Ohio, police officer who fatally shot a Black man Tuesday didn’t have his body camera turned on at the time, the mayor says.— CNN (@CNN) December 23, 2020
The shooting comes after a sheriff’s deputy fatally shot Casey Goodson, a Black man, in Columbus earlier this month. https://t.co/hs9s7bm0W2
According to a Columbus Department of Public Safety news release, police responded to a non-emergency call shortly after 1:37 a.m. Tuesday. The caller reported that a man had been sitting in his SUV for an extended period, repeatedly turning his engine on and off.
When police arrived at the home on the city’s northwest side, they found a garage door open and a man inside, city officials said. The 60-second body camera look back shows the man walking toward the officer with a cell phone in his left hand, the release said.
His right hand was not visible.One officer fired his weapon, officials said, striking a 47-year-old man, who died at the hospital just before 2:30 a.m.The preliminary investigation indicates the man was visiting someone at the home, officials said.
A weapon was not recovered at the scene.The officers turned on their cameras immediately after the shooting, and that footage shows a delay in rendering aid to the man.
Because the officers were not responding to an emergency, they were not running their car’s siren and lights, officials said, so their cruiser’s dashboard camera was not activated at any time during the response.
Mayor Ginther said the city is giving the deceased man’s family an opportunity to see the body camera video before it is released to the media. He expects the family to review the footage Wednesday.
The shooting comes on the heels of the December 4 fatal shooting in Columbus of Casey Goodson, a 23-year-old Black man with no criminal background, by a Franklin County Sheriff’s Office deputy.
Three discrimination lawsuits have also been filed in Columbus in recent months by current or former Black officers. The City Council last month voted to approve a $475,000 payment in a fourth brought by an officer who said he faced retaliation after reporting racist behavior and misconduct of a White police sergeant.
“The city is exhausted,” Ginther said.Columbus has invested more than $5 million to outfit its officers with body cameras, according to the mayor.A visibly frustrated Ginther said he will not tolerate officers who do not turn their cameras on.
“If you’re not going to turn on your body-worn camera, you cannot serve and protect the people of Columbus,” Ginther said.
The investigation is being handled by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the Columbus division of police is fully cooperating, the mayor said.
Under an agreement reached this summer, the BCI will conduct an outside, independent investigation of all officer-involved shootings involving deadly force by Columbus police officers.
“This is a tragedy on many levels,” said police Chief Thomas Quinlan in a statement.
“Most importantly, a life has been lost. That must be our focus going forward. We know that BCI will conduct a thorough, independent investigation.
We promise that we will provide as much transparency as possible on our part, both with investigators and the public.”Our community deserves the facts. If evidence determines that laws or policies were violated, officers will be held accountable.”
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- Kwabena Agyepong welcomed back to NPP after 6 years suspension
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
- Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
- Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
SHSs in Sekyere Kumawu District get new facilities to ease congestion
Ghana Culture Forum pays courtesy call on Minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture
28 excavators, 267 chanfan machines destroyed in phase 2 of ‘Operation Halt’- Defence Minister
It’s time to address disconnect between science and the people – Minister advises
Barcelona miss chance to go top of La Liga after six-goal thriller with Levante
Activities of Operation Vanguard suspended by government
Social media users list Top 5 Ghanaian players
Fire guts new Kejetia Market
Protect Ghanaian businesses to aid job-oriented economic growth – Dr Kofi Amoah
Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
Operation Halt must be sustained, extended to tributaries of major rivers – Defence Minister
Akufo-Addo is not against mining, he is helping to improve it – Lands Minister
Pupils travel 3 hours barefoot on muddy road to school in Accra
Military not harassing legal miners – Dominic Nitiwul
2021 Wolves Cup to be launched on Wednesday