Audio By Carbonatix
Opec producers and allies have agreed to cut output by around 10% to counter the slump in demand caused by coronavirus lockdowns.
The group said it would cut output in May and June by 10 million barrels to help prop up prices. The cuts will then be eased gradually until April 2022.
Opec+, made up of Opec producers and allies including Russia, held talks on Thursday via video conference.
Talks were complicated by disagreements between Russia and Saudi Arabia.
The group and its allies agreed to cut 10 million barrels a day or 10% of global supplies from their pre-crisis levels. Another 5 million barrels is expected to be cut by other nations.
It said the cuts would be eased to eight million barrels a day between July and December. Then they would be eased again to six million barrels between January 2021 and April 2022.
Oil prices slumped in March after Opec+ failed to agree cuts.
In the wake of the March meeting, Saudi Arabia and Russia moved to boost production in order to retain market share amid falling global demand.
That, together with the collapse in demand for oil amid the coronavirus pandemic, help to push oil prices to 18-year lows by the end of March.
Prices have recovered some ground since then. Last week, prices jumped 20% after US President Donald Trump said he expected Saudi Arabia and Russia to end their feud.

Thursday's talks will be followed by a conference call on Friday between energy ministers from the G20 countries. It will be hosted by Saudi Arabia.
Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia's wealth fund and one of Moscow's top oil negotiators told Reuters: "We are expecting other producers outside the Opec+ club to join the measures, which might happen tomorrow during G20."
The US has not committed itself to any cuts although it did say that its oil output was gradually reducing anyway due to plunging oil prices.
President Donald Trump had warned Saudi Arabia that the US would impose sanctions if it did not cut oil production.
Latest Stories
-
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
27 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
29 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
37 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
38 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
49 minutes -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
51 minutes -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
1 hour -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
1 hour -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
1 hour -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
1 hour -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
1 hour -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
2 hours