Residents of Fuveme in the Volta Region say a 50-year-old man died during last week’s storm surge.
Akpalogo Amevornyagbo, a fisherman and talented singer had drowned during the storm surge while returning from the sea on a fishing expedition.
A brother of the deceased said Akpalogo was returning to shore when the storm surge occurred, capsizing his boat and drowning him.
He said, “Reaching the seashore, the tidal wave had created another channel joining the River Volta, he’s trying to cross over that small channel. At the point of crossing, he lost his life. A lively man, sociable man who is liked by many in the community…indeed it is a big loss.”
Another brother, Mawuli Awadzi described his death as a great loss to the community.
“There’s a singing group in the community and he’s one of the lead singers. People love him and we know we have lost an asset,” he said.
Meanwhile, residents of Fuveme are still grappling with the havoc left in the wake of the storm surge.
About 200 homes have been destroyed and close to 4,000 persons displaced in the process.
The Coordinator of the Volta Tidal Wave Relief Fund (VTWRF), Mawuko Afadzinu says there are plans to rebuild some social amenities that were destroyed.
The VTWRF made up of some eminent Ghanaians who hail from the Volta Region with the support of corporate Ghana on Sunday provided affected persons with more relief items.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’
- Expert trauma surgeon shares life-saving tips for road accident victims on Vodafone Healthline
- Teachers are poised to teach, but no logistics – GNAT
- Sex is a very healthy aerobic exercise – Dr. Yaw Osarfo
- Four men jailed for molesting a teenager at Agogo