The One Ghana Unity Flag, which is on a nationwide float as part of activities marking the centenary birthday celebrations of Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana’s first President, arrived in Sunyani in the Brong-Ahafo Region on Tuesday.
It arrived at the regional capital in the early hours of Tuesday, after a tour of the Northern, Upper East and Upper West regions. Mr. Kwadwo Nyamekye Marfo, flanked by the Deputy Regional Minister, Mr. Eric Opoku and members of the Regional Co-ordinating Council received the flag, at Techiman, which had arrived from Tamale. Mr. Marfo and the flagbearers led a procession of security agencies and school children amidst brass band music through some principal streets of Sunyani to the Jubilee Park, where he addressed a special parade.
The regional minister recounted Nkrumah’s leading role in the struggle for Ghana’s independence, adding: “It is important that we remember him particularly for the country’s high score in democratic credentials and development, which has projected her as a shining example to the rest of Africa and the world.”
Mr. Marfo extolled Dr Nkrumah’s instrumental role in the creation of the region.
Mr. Anastas Anderson, team leader, said the essence of the one Ghana unity flag tour initiative was to remind Ghanaians that Ghana “is our only country and we need to be united to move her forward”.
To drive the message of unity in diversity home that Ghana is one country with one people and a common destiny, the regional and the deputy ministers and members of the public appended their signatures in the flip side of the flag.
The flag is due for the Ashanti Region and then to the Central and Volta regions.
The tour is expected to end in Greater Accra Region on September 21, the birthday of Dr Nkrumah.
- Many still unable to buy ECG credit
- Photos: Actor ‘Waakye’, laid to rest
- Indonesia: At least 174 dead in football stadium crush
- ECG system challenges an internal attack, initiate investigations – Sam George to government
- Adwoa Smart cries at Prince Yawson’s funeral
- “We’re building a thriving tourism economy in Ghana” – Akufo-Addo
- Chiefs, DCEs, others to blame for worsening galamsey situation – Lands Minister
- Marrying an older man meant I became a widow at 34
- Manchester City beat Manchester United in nine goal thriller
- SSNIT, other companies shut down Bawku office over security concerns
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson reported dead
- 3 members enough for Black Stars Management Committee – Fred Pappoe
- Ibrahim Mahama wins EMY Africa Man of The Year
- Performance wrap of Ghanaian players abroad over the weekend
- Towards sustainable development of Africa’s upstream market…A Tullow Oil perspective
- Peg dollar for duty payments at least quarterly – GUTA to government
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- Hearts of Oak appoints David Ocloo as assistant coach
- Be circumspect in your coverage of conflict – NMC tells radio stations in Bawku
- Thomas Partey scores stunning goal in Arsenal win over Tottenham
- CalBank commissions new ICT Lab for SDA Schools in Koforidua
- Sustainability requirements shouldn’t be a ruse to block our cocoa and coffee – Oppong Nkrumah
- CAF re-opens bids for AFCON 2025
- GCR affirms Ecobank Ghana rating A+, outlook stable
- Bright Simons: GNPC fails in bogus defense of Genser sweetheart deal