Audio By Carbonatix
A migrant has been rescued, and 50 others are feared drowned after a boat sank in the Mediterranean, officials said on Sunday.
The man had been in the sea for 24 hours and said he believed everyone else on the vessel had died, according to the Alarm Phone group, which runs an emergency hotline for migrants.
The boat had come from Tunisia, it added, a common departure point for migrants risking the dangerous journey to reach Europe.
The man was rescued by a merchant ship off Tunisia and brought to Malta for medical treatment, Malta's armed forces said. They and Alarm Phone did not say when the man was rescued.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
14 minutes -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
15 minutes -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
48 minutes -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
57 minutes -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
1 hour -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
1 hour -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
1 hour -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
2 hours -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
2 hours -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
2 hours -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
2 hours -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
2 hours -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
2 hours -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
2 hours