Some residents of Battor and its adjoining communities are worried their lives are at high risk due to the chieftaincy disputes characterised by clashes that resulted in the death of five people.
The residents lamenting the recent happenings in the Battor township noted that the government must as a matter of urgency, address the issue in order to avoid more loss of lives.
The residents who spoke with the media noted that the clashes could have been avoided if the two factions had agreed on a peaceful settlement.
They noted that the two factions urgently need to first seek the interest of the residents and come together and resolve the dispute.
“Our lives are at high risk now and we don’t even know how many more lives would be lost in the disputes currently ongoing and we need government’s urgent attention on the issue,” a frustrated resident lamented.
The residents believe that the two factions went wrong in the whole process of the negotiation and that they could have amicably dealt with the issue without fights.
The concerned residents are however calling on the Paramount Chief and the stool father as well as the security agencies to quickly resolve the issue.
Five people have lost their lives with several others injured during a bloody clash in Battor Township due to the conflict between the Dzekley Royal Family and the stool father of the area.
The incident which has sparked insecurity, tension and confusion in Battor Traditional Area and its adjoining communities allegedly happened after the alleged destoolment of the Paramount Chief of the Battor Traditional area.
At a press conference held on November 27, 2022, the stool father, Zikpitor Korsi Hottor announced that he has destooled the Paramount Chief of the Battor Traditional Area, Togbega Patamia Dzekley VII.
The stool father alleged that the Paramount Chief had breached the customs and traditions of the Battor Traditional Area, hence his destoolment.
Sadly, during a gathering on Friday, December 16, 2022 to process for the firing of musketry in the Battor township ahead of a festival, aggrieved supporters of the de-stooled paramount chief allegedly clashed with some supporters of the stool father which led to the death of five people and several persons injured.
Meanwhile, the Police Service has arrested15 suspects for their involvement in the violent chieftaincy dispute that resulted in the death of five people and injury to others.
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Concerned UG Students embark on ‘Ya Br3 Mo’ Demo
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Diana Hamilton settles bills of patients at KATH
- 3 die in motorbike accident at Yaw Bronya, Ashanti Region
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Playback: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand