Following reports of illegal mining activities on the Offin River in the Western Region, the Deputy Minister of Lands and Natural Resources in charge of Mines, George Mireku Duker on Tuesday, August 16 2022 stormed the site to decimate equipment and tools being used by the illegal miners.
He was in the company of Military officials with Operation Halt II.
In an operation aimed at reminding the illegal miners of government’s uncompromising and unshakeable stance against illegal mining, Mr. Mireku Duker, the Chief Executive Officer of the Minerals Commission, Martin Ayisi and the team of military officers seized and decommissioned over 838 changfan machines.
After receiving detailed briefing from the Commander of the Military team, Brigadier Amoah Ayisi on operations made so far by his team since Sunday, when they moved to the site, Mr. Mireku Duker warned that government will not take its feet off the pedal until the canker of galamsey is nipped in the bud.
Mr. Mireku Duker assured that all waterbodies in the country will enjoy permanent protection from the personnel of the Ghana Armed Forces.
He said the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources and the Minerals Commission are aware of the complex nature of the galamsey war but are not fazed as it has the total support of President Akufo-Addo and Ghanaians to protect the country’s waterbodies.
“Since Sunday, they’ve been patrolling Offin and Ankobra making sure they arrest these recalcitrant who have been destroying our waterbodies. It is very unfortunate that out of greed, people are destroying the heritage and future of this country. It is very unfortunate that despite government’s effort, people are still doing this.
“It is sad that people are mining in a river body without any shred of responsibility. I want to commend the military for all the work they’ve done. So far they have burnt over 900 equipment and it shows the incredible work they’ve done,” he said.
The Deputy Minister charged Ghanaians to be wary of the dangers of illegal mining and assist the government to deal with the canker.
He also told the public that it was their civic and patriotic duty to help the government win the war against illegal mining.
He stated that the new measures announced by the Minerals Commission which details the permanent patrolling of the waterbodies by the Operation Halt III team will go a long way in helping the government eradicate illegal mining.
At a press conference on Sunday, August 14th, 2022, the CEO of Minerals Commission announced that personnel from the Ghana Armed Forces will be deployed on major rivers in the country to deal with galamsey.
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- Ekow Blankson’s last video goes viral on social media
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Suicide is never an option – Funny Face
- ‘Galamsey’ poses an existential threat to our future – Akufo-Addo
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- ‘May Allah deal with you appropriately’ – Kaaka’s family unhappy with prosecution’s delays
- Social media users impressed with Black Sherif’s ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Samira Bawumia addresses 2nd high-level meeting of WHO’s HEPA
- Zambia ex-Health Minister charged with $17m in corruption scandal
- Miss Rwanda organiser to be jailed 16 years for sexually abusing contestants
- E-Levy is slowing government’s digital agenda – Telecoms Chamber warns
- Burkina Faso’s coup leader assumes presidency
- Arrest all 3 men – Sonnie Badu tells police after man flogging toddler goes viral
- BoG partners key players in financial sector to address challenges
- Black Stars drop to 61st in latest FIFA/Coca-Cola World rankings
- We’re hopeful of securing IMF programme before end of 2022 – Ofori-Atta
- PETROSOL congratulated for tax compliance
- Mexico mayor assassinated in town hall massacre
- Only a determined effort in galamsey fight will help us Break the 8 – Akufo-Addo