There was a scare on Thursday when a Kenyan member of parliament said colleagues were unsafe during proceedings because one member was armed.
The MP, Elisha Odhiambo, informed the speaker that he had seen what looked like a gun behind the coat of his colleague, Mohamed Ali.
Speaker Justin Muturi asked Mr Ali to confirm if he was carrying a gun.
“My apologies, I forgot to leave my things outside. I am a human being,” he said.
Speaker Muturi asked Mr Ali to confirm if he was carrying a gun.
“Mr Speaker, allow me to surrender,” Mr Ali said as the parliamentary broadcasting unit panned the camera away.
He was asked to deposit it outside with the sergeant-at-arms as required by law.
The speaker urged the sergeant to be vigilant and enforce the rules branding it a “terrible oversight”.
Mr Ali lashed out at his colleague for publicising the matter and said it was politically motivated, as both support different parties.
Another MP Millie Odhiambo said the country was politically volatile and urged more security measures enforced.
Kenyan legislators have been divided by ongoing calls for proposed constitutional amendments. The president and his deputy are on different sides in the referendum push.
- We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recounts
- #FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
- Angry Ghanaian youth take #FixTheCountry protests to social media after court injunction
- #FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
- Benjamin Azamati qualifies for Tokyo Olympics 200m event
- Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
- It’ll take time for government to get economy back on track – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
- Playback: Finance Minister addresses nation amidst #FixTheCountry protest
- Vehicle towing cost to be borne by insurance industry – NIC Commissioner
- Bawumia’s response to #FixTheCountry campaign not a solution to issues raised – Ofosu Kwakye
Greater Accra Regional Chief Imam’s office inaugurates first Advisory Board members
Full text: Ken Ofori-Atta’s media briefing amidst #FixTheCountry protest
Youth and Sports Minister calls for Zero Tolerance for Hooliganism in Sports
Stop illegal construction of speed ramps – Minister warns youth
Lewis Hamilton wins Spanish Grand Prix after late overtake of Max Verstappen
Medeama and Željezničar sign landmark partnership
Otiko Afisah Djaba: Don’t get tired of treating mother’s well
Nestor Kafui Adjomah: Mother’s Day; Where is my tribute?
Free SHS: PTA urges members to support schools amidst challenges
Universal Hospitals Group donates medical consumables to 2 health facilities
Ghana Month Series: Sunyani Traditional Area discounts Krontihene’s narration of historical facts
#FixTheCountry: I’ve always supported the agenda since the beginning of my career – Sarkodie
Chad claims victory over rebels after president’s death
Playback: Finance Minister addresses nation amidst #FixTheCountry protest
South Sudan’s president dissolves Parliament