Audio By Carbonatix
President Akufo-Addo has said persons who continue to flout the Covid-19 safety protocols will be dealt with by the law.
He was concerned that the decline in the country's case count had caused a lack of strict adherence to the safety protocols. However, he stated that the law enforcement agencies had been empowered to ensure that persons caught in violation of these laws would be dealt with accordingly.
"Let me remind those amongst us, who want to continue to disregard these protocols, that severe sanctions exist in our laws for such persons, who will want to endanger the rest of the population through their actions and negligence.
"The law enforcement agencies will, where necessary, apply these measures without fear or favour, ill-will or malice, and without recourse to a person's ethnicity, gender or religion.
In his 16th address on measures to curtail the spread of Covid-19, intimated that he has been reliably informed that in some regions of the country where there are no active cases, some residents are abandoning, altogether, the protocols, such as the wearing of masks, established to fight the virus.
He added that the high compliance rate of wearing masks by persons surveyed by the Ghana Health Service in some selected areas of Accra, to which he referred to in his 15th address has according to a new survey by the same Service, fallen alarmingly.
As of August 31, 2020, active cases in the country stood at 1,152.
However, the President said citizens must observe the measures in order to completely cut out the virus from the system. He emphasized on the fact that "enhanced hygiene, mask-wearing and social distancing protocols must now be central features of our lives and must continue to be so for some time to come until we see the elimination of the virus from our country".
He advised the people of Ghana not to let down their guard because of the significant decline in the number of cases.
"We have to maintain, in a state of constant readiness, the enhanced infrastructure and expertise we have built during the period of the virus to cope with it," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Nana Aba Anamoah names Doreen Andoh and Kwasi Twum as her dream interviewees
15 minutes -
Nana Aba Anamoah rates Mahama’s performance
46 minutes -
Religious Affairs Minister urges Christians to embrace charity and humility as Lent begins
1 hour -
Religious Affairs Minister calls for unity as Ramadan begins
1 hour -
Willie Colón, trombonist who pioneered salsa music, dies aged 75
2 hours -
Guardiola tells team to chill with cocktails as Man City pile pressure on Arsenal
3 hours -
Majority blasts Minority over Burkinabe border bloodbath claims
4 hours -
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
5 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
6 hours -
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
7 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
7 hours -
Iran students stage first large anti-government protests since deadly crackdown
7 hours -
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
9 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
9 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
10 hours
