Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Samuel Abu Jinapor, has reiterated the government’s commitment to protecting Anglogold Ashanti Obuasi Mine from any illegal attack.
He has been engaging traditional leaders, authorities of AngloGold Ashanti and small-scale miners in the Obuasi Municipality after some miners allegedly invaded an underground mine of Anglogold.
The minister is seeking to resolve the hostilities between the community and the mine.
Last week, some unauthorized miners allegedly invaded a remote area of Anglogold Ashanti’s underground mine.
The illegal miners however, claimed they were trapped, leading to protests in the Obuasi town.

Samuel Abu Jinapor has had a meeting with stakeholders to help improve relations between the Obuasi community and mine operators.
According to him, the government is willing to strictly enforce the mining laws to protect the mining concession.
He says persons invading the mine without authorisation will be arrested and prosecuted.
“We are very determined to protect this mine. I should say it forcefully that it is governments policy to protect AngloGold Ashanti’s concession and therefore the mining laws will be enforced strictly. Persons are not allowed to attack AngloGold Ashanti but if they do, they will be arrested and prosecuted”, he said.

The minister noted the government’s willingness to liaise with AngloGold Ashanti and the Obuasi community to offer responsible mining job opportunities as a means of employment for the youth.
He however says the lack of employment cannot be a justification for illegally attacking the concession of AngloGold Ashanti.
“Government recognises that we have to find alternative means of employment and livelihoods for the youth of Obuasi. We are engaging AngloGold and stakeholders to do just that. Including responsible community mining. But lack of employment cannot be a justification for attacking the concession of AngloGold Ashanti”, he noted.
Latest Stories
-
Blame OSP for delaying SML case – Corporate Counsel
3 minutes -
GFD condemns BOGISS over disciplinary action against 14-year-old allegedly abused by watchmen
24 minutes -
Exhibitors showcase housing solutions at JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair at Achimota Mall
25 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia reiterates call for inclusion and unity at meeting with new Savannah and Western regional NPP executives
30 minutes -
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
54 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
1 hour -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
1 hour -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
1 hour -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
1 hour -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
2 hours -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
2 hours -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
2 hours -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
2 hours -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
2 hours