Plans for fans to return to watch live sport events in England from 1 October will not go ahead, says cabinet office minister Michael Gove.
The plans were placed under review earlier this month after a rise in coronavirus cases, with pilot events restricted to 1,000 people.
The UK’s Covid-19 alert level has moved to 4, meaning transmission is “high or rising exponentially”.
New measures will be set out by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Gove confirmed plans for a staged return of fans would be “paused”.
“We were looking at a staged programme of more people returning – it wasn’t going to be the case that we were going to have stadiums thronged with fans,” he said.
“We’re looking at how we can, for the moment, pause that programme, but what we do want to do is to make sure that, as and when circumstances allow, get more people back.
“The virus is less likely to spread outdoors than indoors but again it’s in the nature of major sporting events that there’s a lot of mingling.”
The pilot programme will also be paused.
The majority of sports in England have been played behind closed doors since the coronavirus lockdown in March, including Premier League football, the FA Cup final, England’s Test cricket matches and two Formula 1 races at Silverstone.
Sport events that took place with full crowds in March shortly before all fixtures were postponed and the UK locked down have come under scrutiny.
The impact of Liverpool’s Champions League fixture with Atletico Madrid on the spread of coronavirus is being investigated by the city’s council, while there have also been calls for an investigation into whether the Cheltenham Festival should have gone ahead.
The government defended its decision to allow such events to go ahead before restrictions on mass gatherings were introduced.
“People look back now at the beginning of the pandemic at some of the major sporting events then and ask the question why were they allowed to go ahead,” added Gove.
“What we must do is look at sporting events now with caution but we also recognise that sport is a vital part of this nation and we’re looking at everything we can do to support our athletes, our great clubs, through what will be a challenging time.”
The leaders of more than 100 sports bodies have written to the prime minister to ask for emergency funding,warning of “a lost generation of activity” because of coronavirus.
Sport England has handed out £200m for emergency cases, but many in the sector believe more is needed.
Earlier this month, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters told BBC Sport it was “absolutely critical” fans were allowed back inside stadiums as soon as possible and failure to do so would cost clubs £700m during the 2020-21 season.
English Football League clubs lost £50m in gate receipts last season and estimate a £200m loss if there are no fans this season.
The Rugby Football Union is braced for a £50m loss in revenue, while the England men’s squad have accepted a 25% pay cut for the next 12 months.
Rugby Football League chief executive Ralph Rimmer urged the government not to delay the return of crowds, with clubs facing a potential impact on revenues of “up to £2m per week”.
At the end of August, 2,500 people watched a friendly between Brighton and Chelsea at the Seagulls’ Amex Stadium – the first time fans had been allowed into a Premier League ground in almost six months.
About 300 spectators were allowed to watch last month’s World Snooker Championship final between Ronnie O’Sullivan and Kyren Wilson at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, but original plans to admit fans for all days of the tournament were reversed.
Arsenal’s 9-1 victory over West Ham in the Women’s Super League on 12 September saw up to 1,000 fans attend.
More than 2,500 spectators bought tickets for the first day of the St Leger meeting at Doncaster on 9 September, the first crowd at a British horse racing fixture in six months – but the rest of the meeting was then held behind closed doors.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Teen charged in killing of 45-year-old Ghanaian Lyft driver in the US
Industries are killing water bodies in Greater Accra – Kpone Mantse
Vanessa Bryant shares intimate wedding picture to mark 20th anniversary with Kobe Bryant
Fire engulfs Mampong College of Education administration block
Corruption in Ghana a reality that must be addressed – Prof. Adei
Hollard Life Launches MeBanbɔ to provide insurance for underserved
Norwegian Ambassador to Ghana pays courtesy call on Communication Minister
Cadres Tema meeting doesn’t conflict with NDC retreat – Kunbour
500 Covid-19 vaccines expire due to low patronage in some regions
Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Afienya, Ashaiman, Katamanso and other areas in Accra to have interrupted supply – Water Company
2 drug traffickers excrete 191 pellets of cocaine, heroin at Nigerian airport
Japan Motors launches New Nissan Sunny in Ghana
Security man in trouble for allegedly defiling 4-year-old girl
NIC commends Allianz Insurance and UBA on bancassurance partnership
WHO data shows taking vaccines 12 weeks after first dose more potent – Dr Kwame Amponsah-Achiano